1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carvin 1000 red line

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Winky B., Aug 14, 2006.

1. Winky B.

Winky B.

Has any one used a Carvin 1000 red line and if so what is your opinion of it?

Thank`s Wink

2. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I had one before I got my Ampeg rig, and that's also what they use at the church where I sit in on the worship band sometimes. They're a great value - plenty of power, and loaded with features. Tone is okay, but excellent for the price. Very solidly built and user-friendly. I'm actually playing this Friday on that setup (Red Line 1000 with a Carvin Red Eye 4x10) and looking forward to it.

Dave

Pic: My old Carvin rig... sigh... I miss it sometimes! These days I'm playing on a Line6 POD xt Live into an Ampeg SVP-1600 power amp, Channel A into a Phil Jones Bass 8T and Channel B into an Ampeg SVT Classic 410HLF.

Link: Here's (kind of) my current rig - I have an Ampeg SVP-1600 power amp now (not the Crown I-Tech 4000 pictured - whew! 4000 watts!), and I'm using a Line6 preamp now, not the Ampeg SVP-Pro
    http://www.davemuscato.com/images/daves_rig.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I have one & really like it. I 've used it for about 5 years with no problems. They don't make it anymore so I assume you're buying it used. I like it in the bridged position thru a Carvin 4X10 cab. I recently got the new 800w mono block from them & like it as well. It sounds a bit different than the R1000, but all in all it's a killer rig. I am an endorsee of Carvin stuff.That being said, I have played thru & owned a bunch of other amps & if I didn't like their gear I wouldn't use it even if they paid me. My sound is pretty dark & bottom heavy. I play mostly reggae & C&W. I am able to get my sound from their gear with no problem & it's very sturdy. A lot of times we open shows for Jamaican touring bands & they use our gear. Those guys are serious about the bass, mon. The bass player will invariably ask me about where I got the amp & why he's never seen one in stores. The "sub bass" knob on the new mono block amp is especially luscious onstage.

4. Winky B.

Winky B.

I guess I ask the wrong Question. It is a R1000 Series III

Wink

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Winky B.

Winky B.

Thank`s for your replys. I went ahead and got the amp off Evil Bay. Hope it works out.
    Wink

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    That amp has several killer tones in it!! :hyper:
    I've got one as my spare. I have had to repair it a couple of times for a
    ground fault and a power loss, but I still like it. It gets lugged around a
    lot without getting played. I now know to test it frequently. It's got a lot
    of bang for the buck, and good features. My students love it. I am a bit
    skeptical of the power rating, though. :eyebrow:

I hope you paid no more than $400 US. :D

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

I have an R600 which is the lower power version of the R1000. In the years I've had it, I haven't had any problems and I get great tones out of it. The R1000 is a great amp, IMO. I hope you like it as much as I like my R600. Good luck.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

I'm absolutely aghast that someone claimed that the red line 1000 was "user friendly".

I played a used one at a store more than a year ago, and I agree with the MANY other threads here on the issue that although the red line amp has many features, it is quite a chore dialing in a good tone on it - quite cumbersome to say the least.

I really encourage you to do a search and read those posts.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

I wouldn't call the R1000 "plug and play" simple, but all of the controls are laid out logically and clearly marked. Considering the amount of features, I'd say that Carvin did a commendable job. Familiarizing yourself with exactly what each control does is a good idea with any amp, especially before gigging with it for the first time, it just takes a little longer with the Carvin because it can do so much.

11. Winky B.

Winky B.

Thank`s I think 346.00 with shipping so I am OK in that respect if it is in like new as stated. One more thing I saw and add for a set of 12 inch speakers that clam a Frequency response of 30 - 20,000 Hz Will some 12`s go that low or is that hype.I play a five string and most speakers I have checked start at around 40 or 45 to what ever. Even the 15 and 18`s

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

It really depends.There are some 2x12's that will go that low. The one that comes to mind right now is the Carvin BRX12. The cabinet is big and heavy, despite having Neo drivers, but it supposedly sounds great. I also imagine that it will outlive many other cabs as it's covered in truck bed liner and made of solid plywood. Anyway, to answer your question, some will and some won't. If you can find a BRX12 you should jump on it. They're discontinued now and might become hard to find. Good luck.

13. Winky B.

Winky B.

Well here is my take on the Carvin R1000 111 after about
    two weeks. It is not out of the box plug and play and you do need to read the book as was stated. But the more you play it the more you like it. I hooked it up to Nady PSW 18 for the low side and a 15 with horn that was a freebie from the trash
    of a church being torn down. Never took it apart to see what it really is but it rocks with bass or guitar and it was free.I have three other 15`s two kustom 2 way`s and a 15 10 cabinet home built rated 800 watts. I am not running it bridged so I should be OK Any way over all I like it.
    Seems you need to use it for a while to get dialed in. And will cover most gigs. Just hook up speakers for what size gig it is. Good low end with 5 string. Like being able to dial in what frequencies go to what cabinet, the noise gate works well. Still learning but no dislikes so far.
    I have a big gig coming up in two weeks so I can turn the watts out . With out the wife leaving the house when I turn it on.
    wink

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Congrats on the new amp. I hope it treats you as well as mine has treated me. Good luck.

15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Speaker size doesnt mean the speakers produce more bass, its all down to the actual individual speaker design these days. I will point out that you dont really hear much below 40ish Hz anyways, you dont really hear much of that, most of what you hear are the upper harmonics, the fundamental isnt hugely important or as noticable as the higher harmonics, i play a 6 string through an ampeg SVT-II and marshall 8x10 sealed cab, it isnt designed to the the bassiest of setups, but it can pull it off no problem, with no noticable drop in volume playing the lowest notes on the B string.

16. Winky B.

Winky B.

Thank you Bass-Shy. I will take any pointers as I am still learning it.As you said not plug and play but it will about do away with pedals and effects.I will still run a preamp pedal
    so I can kick it a little on solos. And some songs.

And mohawk you are right. I found a 10 inch that will go down to 20 Hz they say. I had been tuning out the low end as my speakers would crack on the B string. With The Red Line I am only running every thing under 500
    to 120 Hz to the 18 and the rest to what ever I am playing with. True you may not hear much on the low end but with the 18 on the floor you can sure feel it. I also in the past have bounced it off a back wall for the same reason

Thank`s Wink