1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin 15" bass cab. 600 watts at 4 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dave Curran, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

This is a rat fur with no tweeter. Right now I have no cabs or head/preamp. I run passive DI into a Presonus 16.4.2.

It's for sale locally at a music shop for $100.

I also have 2 eminence beta 8A woofers @8ohms, and 2 peavey 115 pa horns. The 90 x 60 with dual piezo drivers. Was thinking of taking the 2 8" and one horn and building a "pa speaker". Taking the horn and putting it between the 8"s, slot port, and tilt like a monitor when laid on side. It would be at 4 ohms then too.

I also have a yorkville 800 amp that I could power these with for now. I really have gas for the Carvin B1500, which if I go this route, would (I think) match up well with this setup. The dual 8" cab could be used by itself for smaller gigs, or put together for larger ones. EDIT: I also have a samson s-3way that does 4-way , AND 4-way low... ( I always wanted to use that with a pair of amps and quad-x a bass rig. 3 x-over points all under 8 k. ;)

But on the other hand, I really have gas for a PF800. And that (nor any reasonable $ head I know of) does not go down to 2 ohms.

Also does anyone know where I can get the T/S parameters for the carvin 15"?

My questions... Is the carvin a good cab/value? Would this be a quality/versatile rig? Is there a better use for those 8"s?... What else am I missing here?...

Thanks, Dave
  2. Dave Curran

Bump to see if anyone wants to answer my first thread...
  3. Dave Curran

Ok, forget everything else. Is the carvin a good, cab... or not? Thats all I really want to know...
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

All I know is what I read here, Carvin cabs went downhill since using Chinese drivers. Also, a 600w full range single 15 is too good to be true.
  5. Dave Curran

I figured it was "max". I'm gonna pass this one by. Thanks.
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

How old? Which model? Can you try it with a PF-X00 head at the shop?

Is that Yorkville an AP800? If so, it is a good choice and can handle 2 , 4, and 8 ohm loads.

http://yorkville.com/downloads/ownersman/om_ap800.pdf

If that Carvin 115 is a bass cab in good working order, and if you like how it sounds (volume, color, etc.) when tested, and if your Yorkville is an AP800, and if you want to dedicate a channel and an auxillary mix on your Presonus 16.4.2 to your bass, then yes. :ninja:
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

From Carvin...you just have to know where to look. Link
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

@OP Any more info forthcoming?
  9. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have a 15" Carvin Neo I used in a TL606 cabinet. It was rated by Carvin as "600 watts" but I believe that's a peak number. The first one fried a voice coil one night despite very moderate volume levels. Carvin replaced the driver.

Carvin doesn't give out speaker specs. Reportably, this neo has low excursion numbers. I don't doubt that.

The 15 doesn't have enough high end for me to use it alone. I usually used it with a 2X8 cabinet, crossed at 500Hz. I would use it today, but I just don't trust it having had one fry. I was using a GK1001RB when it fried, and that amp has quite a controlled low end.
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Did you click on the link I posted a Post No. 7? It's all there (you have to scroll down past page 1).

It says that Xmax for the Neo 15s is 3mm.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Yes the Carvin likely doesn't have the XMAS of the GB Uber 115 but then again, 100 bucks? Come on. Some of the techie talk gets silly around here. Plenty of people who have had good results with the BR115 just as plenty of people have blown cabs by GK and others.

Another thing, all of the Carvin 15" bass cabs come with tweeters so I'm not sure which cab it is and nobody knows what driver is in it, unless I missed something.