Carvin 1x18 and 4x10 paired??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Koie11, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Koie11

Koie11

So after some unfortunate incidents with my last rig I'm out on the market for something new. I play chaotic hardcore music and me and my guitarist both run our volumes at the same level as each other so I need it to be loud! But anyway I was looking into getting a carvin b2000 head paired with the bxr18.1cab (800 watts) and bxr4x10 (1200 watts) I haven't found like any information on the 1x18 so I'm just wondering what do you think? I like a very deep sludgy low end with really fuzzy mids and highs
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is your budget for cabs?

IMHO that is a poor pairing. If you go with Carvin cabs, two of the 410's would be your better bet. IMHO there are better cabs out there.
  3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I owned that exact pairing in the 1990s (although the cabs were older Carvin models). It sounded like crap. As I recall, there also was an impedance mismatch and the Carvin R1000 amp couldn't handle the load.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+1 An 18, just like a 15, has no hope of competing with a 4x10. It will always be a weak point in your system. If you need two cabinets, two identical cabinets is the safest route to follow.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Well, some 18s sure can keep up if bi-amped...
    My Ciare 18" subs are still just warming up at 1000W each. They are at least 3-4 dB louder than a 3015LF in the same size box.
  7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

But...........

If you are going to bi-amp, then a big/heavy 4X10 is a waste when you can use a single 6" or 8" mid driver.
  8. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

9. tonybassman

tonybassman

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Single 6"???

Have you ever gigged a bi-amp rig?

I pushed the Deltalite 2510s in my 210 to Xmax when crossed over at 100Hz (18dB/octave) in order to keep up with a single 3015LF. Most heavy duty 18s will not sound
    good much higher than 100Hz. No way it will work to let a single 6" or 8" take over from there.
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It depends on the implementation of your design. One 18sound 6" driver can keep up with two 3015LF's, but they are crossed over a lot higher than 100hz.

Either way, those carvin cabs are not dedicated subs or mid drivers, they are all full range cabs. Better results with matched cabs.
  12. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

Bad replies? How many times has the "dissimilar driver" issue been discussed here? The bottom line is that a 410 + 115 is just not a good idea in a full range config no matter how many people use it. Biamped, the 410 is a waste of cabinet and weight.

If volume is the goal, two 410's would be the best way to go. two of those Carvin 410 cabs should get the sound you're looking for.
  13. TheOxRocks

TheOxRocks

I just got this rig a week and a half ago. Gigged with it this past Saturday. Plenty of power and definition, control and tone up the yinyang... and bi-amped all the way. The best sound I've ever gotten out of an amp rig.
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The 18" cab will be fine with the 410 if he buys the BX1500 head instead of the B2000. This way he can set the crossover point and the volume of each cab indepedently. I've seen it work on big stages.

I however would consider a pair of BRX15.3 (15", 3-way) cabs also. This way you can run them in dual mono with the BX1500 or with the B2000 @ 2 ohms. I still prefer going with the BX1500 because in dual mono (or bi-amped) at 4 ohms each, you'll be pushing each cab with 450w of power and each will have it's own volume knob.
  15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I run my BX1200 in bi-amp mode with a 12" 3-way and 12" sub. Totally kills.

:bassist:
  16. sammyfallen

sammyfallen Supporting Member

I play in a low tuned hardcore / stoner / punk band and I currently use a pair of Carvin 410's from the early 90's and I love them.

I've owned 810's, 610's, 412's, and 215's from every major builder and the Carvin's hang with all of them.

Imo you would be very happy with 2 of their 410's.

I currently run a SVT 7pro and have a peavey mark VIII as a backup. I play with a lot of fuzz, distortion, and effects.
  17. J. Montgomery

J. Montgomery

I have a Carvin R1000 amp running a 4x10 and 1x18 and personally, I think the speakers are pretty awesome (I run it bi-amped).

IMHO, nothing compares to cranking an 18" sub and dropping some low notes on my 6-string (Carvin fretless!). That'll make your house rumble.

The amp is ridiculously loud. I can't really imagine any situation where you would run it anywhere near its maximum volume.

Though truth be told, my main go-to amp is still my little Gallien-Krueger MB150, and if I need more juice, I run it through the 4x10. The Carvin head has had some electrical problems, but the speakers have always worked well.

GK tone is killer!
  18. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Buy yourself an 810 and be done with it. Its easier to move a 140lb 810 then a pair of 100lbs 410s
  19. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    ^ This

Not only will you find lots of good local deals, due to people wanting to be rid of a "big cabinet", but the casters that most of these have will be easier than two casterless 4x10 cabs...good likelihood that the 8x10 will hit lower as well. I followed this same logic with my 2x15s and boy am I glad I did lol.
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I'm sure the 210 biamped with 18 sounds glorious but it's not going to be much louder than the 18 on its own. I've done it with my 210 and 15. Lots of cab carrying for the result.
  21. Koie11

Koie11

Thank you all of this information is a lot of help to me!