Carvin B50 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kahiro14, Dec 17, 2012.

1. kahiro14

kahiro14

Hi guys. Im thinking of ordering a Carvin B50. They really seem like great basses. I have a couple of questions for b50 owners seeing as there arent that many threads about them or even youtube videos. How does the neck feel? Are they very chunky or flat? My preferred neck profile is jazz bass but I know obviously that being a 5 string its gonna be wider.. but how does it compare? Also has anybody had any problems quality wise with their Carvins?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

2. MyMusic

MyMusic

3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I have a Carvin 5 string Icon that I'm completely happy with. Top notch quality, fit, finish, sound, and feel.

4. Reggiep

Reggiep

I am a proud B50 owner. I find the neck to be a bit flatter and easy (for me) to work with. It's the exact same neck that is on the SB5000. If you want more info on the neck, playability, and tone check out what the are saying on the SB5000 thread. The B50 has the same fantastic tone and overall quality.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Handyman

Handyman

Ya, there's a big series of theads on the SB5000, which is identical to the B50 aside from the body shape. Lots of good info in those.

I own both a SB5000 and a fairly recent BB75. The build quality on these things are as good as it gets on factory made basses.

The B50's price makes them the best deal going on new basses, in my opinion. If they were to offer them with a P pickup, I'd order one today.

7. Jarrett

Jarrett

Seek out the SB5000 threads. There is a wealth of knowledge in them. I've owned several of the SB series starting (back in June 2010) which is basically the same as the B series. GREAT basses. The B50's are one of the best bangs for the buck in basses right now, imo.

The neck profile on these basses is perfect to me. The 5's are wider and flatter, but not too flat. Perfect, imo. I've been through several of these basses and only had a couple of minor QA issues that Carvin cleared up ASAP. For the most part the basses come working perfectly the first time.

I just received a new SB5001 fretless that I can't put down.

8. kahiro14

kahiro14

Thanks everybody I'll be sure to check the sb5000 thread. Really really considering ordering one..

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

10. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

As some folks have mentioned, the B50 has a relatively flat (non-chunky) neck profile. It will also be wider than some since it has 19mm string spacing like a typical four-string bass, whereas some five strings have narrower spacing and therefore narrower necks -- which has pros and cons that are discussed in many of the five-string-bass threads.

While I play four-strings most of the time, I still find my B50 to be reasonably comfortable.

11. kahiro14

kahiro14

Thanks guys.. now i cant wait to order one:hyper: