Carvin + Bartolini

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 7, 2007.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Hey, I'm just gathering some opinons here. Has anyone replaced the stock pickups in a Carvin with Barts, and what were your experiences?

I have an LB75 (alder body with Maple/Koa neck) which I'm contemplating changing the pickups. I'm not really doing it for tonal or timbre reasons. Some people don't dig the stock electronics; I think they're fine, but I digress. I'm contemplating it because I'm on a mission to eliminate all extraneous noise from my bass and rig. Obviously, the stock single-coils can be quite noisy when soloed. I have a set of hum-cancelling Barts in my Jazz Bass, which I really like.

I know that Barts are a darker sounding pickup. I don't know what they'd be like with an active bass. The main concern I have is that I don't want to lose the piano-like highs that are indicative of Carvins. I wouldn't mind have a darker mid range. Also, I imagine that the Barts will tighten up the lows.

Does anyone have experience with Barts + Carvin. Do Carvins have standard J-sized pickups (i.e., longer bridge pickup), or are they the same size?

Thanks!
  2. Tony G

Tony G

My Carvin LB75F is currently equipped with bartolini j pickups and NTMB preamp. It sounds rediculously better than the stock carvin electronics.
  3. jdombrow

jdombrow

Many years ago I had a Carvin 5-string fretless, in which I replaced both the pickups and the preamp with Bartolini. A few weeks later I was playing a gig and another bass player came in (who had heard the Carvin with the original electronics). When we were on break he came up and told me that my bass sounded really incredible that night. He did not know that I had made any changes to the bass.

Definitley a recommended upgrade.
  4. SteveC

SteveC

I put Barts in my fretless Carvin 6 string and it made a world of difference.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chucko58

chucko58 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Carvin J style pickups are both the same dimensions as a Fender Jazz bridge pickup.

I like the Bill Lawrence J-45L in this application. Works fine on 4, 5, and 6 string Carvins.
  7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up guys. I think that I may do that upgrade now (makes me wonder if I should upgrade the preamp while I'm at it :D ).

I have two very high paying gigs this weekend. I think I know what that check will be going towards. :)

P.s. Thanks for the dimensions, Chuck. I'll do some measuring before any ordering.
  8. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Anybody know if:

A) Bartolini has a pup the same size as the new Carvin soapbars
    B) Said pup will be compatible with the P-series preamp
    C) Said swap will make enough difference to be worth it, because the Carvin soapbars are supposedly a big improvement over the earlier stuff.

I love the Bartolini sound, especially on a fretless, and if once I get my Carvin I feel the need/desire to make the swap I'm definitely open to doing it, but I don't want to lose the piezo functionality or spend a bunch of money and time swapping pups for a marginal improvement.
  9. IconBasser

IconBasser

A) yes, the Bartolini P2's will fit.
    B)no idea
    C)The new Carvin soap bars IMO completely suck. I have em in my new Icon right now, and I despise them.
  10. eots

eots

because of threads like this that suggest that they're better.
    Tone is subjective as everyone knows. A Carvin w/ barts surely will command a higher price. Don't you think?
    So I sold my LB75AF. Not because it sounded better but it hardly changed the tone enough and I wasn't playing fretless anymore.
    That and I liked the Carvin h50n's in my Yamaha bb605 better than the stock yamaha pups or the barts.
    The barts sucked in the Yamaha and still left some hum which was why I didn't like the stock pups. The Carvin pups were perfect for it.
    The Carvin pups are the same dimensions for neck/bridge. There is a reverse wound pup (j99r) when using them both for hum cancelling. They use them in 4,5, and 6 stringers but I've read that when used in 6's the outside strings can tend to be weaker due to the pup not being wide enough.