1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin bass head Model Sc2000 150 watts. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TijuanaJackson, Jan 29, 2014.

1. TijuanaJackson

TijuanaJackson

They are selling me this head for $250... I've heard it before and I like the sound, but is it a good deal?
    And if I buy it, what cabinet goes best with it?
    Thoughts, Tips anything that can help me make the correct decision.
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

"They"? :confused:

Do you know anything about the Carvin SC2000? I had one - in 1977. It was my very first bass amp head - a 125-watt solid-state POS that I used for playing classic rawk in the bars.

A 125-watt amp is way low-powered by contemporary standards. And since Carvin discontinued the SC2000 many years ago, no way could this possibly be using anything like up-to-date technology.

Frankly, I can't see the value of buying one of these at all - not in 2014. There are other, much more modern amp heads now on the used market, that provide much more bang for the buck - in terms of raw power, as well as features, as well as tonal quality. And certainly so for $250.

As for which cab would be "best", there is no such thing as "best". The question is simply impossible to answer in its raw, vague, unqualified form.

MM
  3. Cirk

Cirk

Michael, as usual, is spot on. You can do much better with $250 than that amp. And yes, I have 2 Carvin amps. A BX500 and TS100. Just look around and I'm sure you'll find something better for the money. First place to look: the TB classified ads.

Best of luck in your quest for tone!
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Get a Carvin BX250 head instead. Just a few bucks more for a legit 250 watts, a great EQ section and full warranty.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Michael has some very good points.

If you want to buy it anyway for some other reason, sentimental, looks or whatever, cut the price in half.....$1 per watt.

Also know these are no longer supported. If you ever need it repaired, the tech would probably have a hard time just finding the schematic and it may use some parts that are no longer available nowdays.
  6. Cirk

Cirk

Also the BX250 weighs a lot less and can fit in the pocket of a gig bag. Very nice features.