1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carvin BR 410 and BR 210

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by yeldarb69, Mar 30, 2014.

1. yeldarb69

yeldarb69 Supporting Member

I recently purchased a couple of these cabinets to use exclusively with a BX 500 head.Now the head will go to 2 ohms so i got the 4 ohm version of the cabinets.Well i love the cabs but now i want to run different heads with them and i can't unless the head goes to 2 ohms.My question is this,is there any way i can make these cabinets 8 ohms ? I seen on the carvin site that they only use 8 ohm speakers for these cabinets.If this is the case,how do they wire the cabinets to make an 8 ohm total load,is it all in the crossover ? Looking back,i really should have just went with the 8 ohm cabinets.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. yeldarb69

Upon further inspection,the 410 has 4 ohm speakers and the 210 has 8 ohm speakers.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The only way you can properly run a 4x10 and a 2x10 together is if the 2x10 has twice the impedance of the 4x10. so 4Ω 4x10 paired with an 8Ω 2x10 or 8Ω 4x10 plus 16Ω 2x10. This way each of the drivers in either cabinet gets the same amount of power.

Running as you are, both at 4Ω, both cabinets get the same amount of power. The 2x10 will be overdriven before the 4x10 even gets going. You'll be no louder than the 4x10 by itself.

As I see it you have no choice but to look for a 2Ω stable amp or change your cabinetry.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Spot on, Grumpy. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. yeldarb69

So if i ran the 410 at 8 and the 210 at 16,would the amp only need to be 4 ohm stable then ?

7. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Yes.