1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin BRX 15.3 ???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brotherbassj, Feb 22, 2013.

1. brotherbassj

brotherbassj Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    Is anyone using one of these yet? I might be late to the party, and I did a search, but am getting nothing? I know the fearful cabs are 15/6 but I'm wondering how this 15/8/1 compares? It being tuned to 26 hz is exciting and it being a 4ohm cabinet is also appealing to me.

If there is a thread that already exists on this can someone please link it up for me? Thanks in advance!
  2. Tractorr

Tractorr

This has come up a few times but I don't think anybody on here has one yet.

The opinion seems to be that Carvin doesn't sell a super 15" (doesn't mean they didn't develop one for this amp and haven't started selling it yet) so people are suspect. Though looking at the specs it does seem to be in the same general area, and I too am interested.
  3. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    Well it has to be a super 15 of some sorts, maybe they are outsourcing it? I will call Keith at Carvin and try to get more info. 600 watts at 4 ohms definitely are attractive specs!

Here is a link to the woofer they are using.....

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TS15-4
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I played through one in San Diego a few months ago. Pushed it pretty hard and it sounded good. Bass Player magazine apparently liked it (award). Whether or not it's as good as the Avatar TB153
    (highly rated here) is tough to say without a side-by-side. It is rather big and heavy compared to some NEO cabs but it's also less expensive. One poster here bought one, do a search.
  5. Tractorr

Tractorr

I suppose the weight is the trade off. You get something that probably at least approaches the Avatar, but weighs a bit more for a lower price. 72 lbs is still really not that bad.
  6. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    I'd like to point out that the Carvin is not NEO based speakers.......its cast frame so figure thats almost 10 pounds of it. I DID a search for "carvin 15" "carvin 15.3" " carvin brx 15" and got nada..........the search engine never has worked well for me and I've been a member for years............sorry
  7. eriky4003

eriky4003

Found this link to the BRX15.3http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/proseriesbasscabinets.php
  8. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    Yes, that's where I read about it, on the carvin site. I was just wondering if there had been any reviews of it yet...........thats all
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

And those power rating specs dont mean squat.

You need the T/S specs to really make a judgement on the driver.
  10. SRCRS

SRCRS

I just posted about this cab like 3 or 4 weeks ago. Apparently Carvin sells a 3-way PA Cab that Greenboy reviewed himself, he said it's a great bass cab. If you search here you'll find a mega-thread about this. Anywho It's cheaper and lighter than the 15.3 bass cabinet, and it's Greenboy approved. As a bonus it can be retro-fitted with the Eminence Kappalite 3015LF, it's a direct drop-in replacement. The link for it is below.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1503
  11. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I've heard that the Carvin LS1503 PA cab has changed signifcantly over the years after greenboy was modifying one.
  12. CL400Peavey

If you go through those threads you will notice greenie did a lot of modification to those cabs, and in the end designed a cab that far exceeds them.

+1
  13. SRCRS

SRCRS

That is true he did modify the cab significantly eventually. However, at the beginning of the thread he was still quite impressed with the cab as is. From what I read the main reasons seemed to be the light weight (58lbs) the SPL (I understand this was increased or "made better" when he modified the cabinet) and the presence of the Lows, mids, and highs as well as the lack of coloration of the cab.

So for $259 you're getting a louder, lighter, and (subjectively) better sounding cab for a cheaper price.
  14. SRCRS

SRCRS

This may be true as Greenboy did review the LS 1503 in 2007. However, the only thing that may have changed were the drivers or tweeter; the internal volume and weight of the cabinet remains the same. So the drivers may be a newer model or something but I am going to venture a guess that they are pretty similiar now. So they still be a direct replacement for the Kappalite 3015LF and 18sound mid driver.
  15. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    I've followed all the greenboy threads and a lot of the fearful and fearless stuff over the years. I've yet to own a fearful as I couldn't see dropping say 900 on a cab I've never heard. I've thought about the ls1503 over the years too. I just really want to know how this carvin 15/8/1 measures up period.......I currently use a bergantino nv215 and a pair of aguilar db112s......so was curious.
  16. CL400Peavey

The whole thing is its not a "drop better speakers in" situation. There is a cross over that has to be designed as well.
  17. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    I fully understand.....
  18. SRCRS

SRCRS

... yeah I forgot about the crossover.

Anyway to get back on track about the 15.3, I'm pretty sure it's a relatively new cab. Last year when I was looking for a new rig I was checking out Carvin stuff and I didn't notice the 15.3 on their website. I can tell you when I started a thread about that can nobody seemed to have played through one yet. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
  19. brotherbassj

Disclosures:
    Thanks, I'm just really curious!
  20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Carvin does have a ten day no questions asked return policy. Maybe you can go forth where no brother has gone before!! :)