1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carvin BRX410.NEO Speaker Upgrade/Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lustersilk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. lustersilk

lustersilk

I play through a Carvin BX1500. I have a BRX410.NEO cabinet that I love the look of, but I blew two of the speakers in a month (replaced one at $125.00 a pop). I switched back to my old RL410T and have had nothing but love for the tone and plenty of headroom.

I've decided to replace the speakers in the BRX410.NEO cabinet, because I love the look, the design and the wheels. I'm interested in what speakers you would use and why. Weight isn't an issue so they don't have to be NEO's. Tone is my #1 priority.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Deltalite 2510 II's if tone is your priority and cost isn't a serious issue. They're light and can take a serious beating.

That said, the BRX 410 may very likely have a tuning that's a hair too high if you're playing a 5-string bass.

If that's the case, any speaker you put in there could be at risk.

Getting an FDeck HPF would be a better investment than all new speakers in all likelihood.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Contact Carvin for replacement drivers. How are you using your BX1500??

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Carvin replacement drivers are crap. The last one I bought didn't even last one gig.

Reverse engineer the cab and get decent speakers. There is a reason Carvin drivers are cheap.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lustersilk

lustersilk

Yeah, sorry but I'm not going to use their drivers again. The only reason I'm sticking with the cabinet is because it matches my amp (which I can't live without, I love it) and I like the coating and wheels.

Thanks for the response though Paul. I appreciate everyone's input.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I would use that program that reverse engineers the cab based on dimensions and use some sort of Eminence drivers. Possibly the Legend BP10s if feasible.

8. lustersilk

lustersilk

I'm not going to say they are crap, but they don't work for me and at 125 bucks a pop, I'm not going to continue down that road. When you say reverse engineer the cab, what exactly do you mean. Can you please elaborate.

Thank you

9. lustersilk

lustersilk

So it's some software, I see. I'll do a little research and see what I come up with.

Thank you.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Search the forum. There are many threads about it. You need to take detailed measurements, but usually some of the nice fellas here who are good with this program will chime in and tell you which speakers will work well for your cab.

11. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I believe it is WinIsd

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

13. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

I'm not an expert on speaker engineering, but I had to replace a couple of Carvin speakers in a RL 210 cabinet I have. The speakers (old) were pharting, buzzing and distorting. A sale on drivers from Avatar was brought to my attention (here at tb). I bought a couple of Celestion TF1020's. Price is right, speakers sound great, and cabinet has the power handling (and balls) I expected when I bought it. I've had them in the cab over a year and they're holding up well, too...

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

...specs are listed with the speakers...

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Dropping any old driver into an existing box ends up in a crapshoot every time. I glad you are pleased with the result but the OP may well not.

OP how were you using the BX1500?? We need to know that in order to offer advice.

15. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine. And the specs are there on Avatar's website, for those who buy based on spec's...

If you reaaaaalllly think about it...that could be said about any speaker/driver. Tone is subjective.

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I see the 1.3 xmax ceramic 350 watt Delta has been used as a replacement driver by guys having issues with their Goliaths, but the xmax on the Deltalite 2510 is far greater at 4.3. The cost difference is significant, I assume the performance would be as well?

17. rpsands

rpsands

Yes, the deltalites will crush the delta in performance.

Personally, I would switch cabs before I'd spend 700 bucks on deltalites for my cab, but whatever :)

18. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

reverse engineering starts with internal measurments of the cab as a whole and the porting arrangement. Also point out to the forum at large if you see any bracing, stuffing or lining.

BassmanPaul has asked a couple of times how you are using the Bx1500. Persumably he is trying to ensure you aren't bridging into a single 410, or boosting Bass, as either could easily be the cause of your problems.

With (4) 8 ohm deltalites, bridging MAY be possible.

19. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Mind if I ask another Q, I have an older Epifani T-210. Ceramic cast frame drivers. (Probably similar to Delta Pro series)

Besides the weight considerations, wonder if a pair of 2510 II would work as just well, in addition to giving better upper mids?

20. rpsands

rpsands

Pretty much any 10 cab on the market will wind up behaving better with a pair of deltalites than with stock drivers. There are a few exceptions where the vendor is actually using nicer drivers already but that's very, very rare.

That said, there are a few caveats:
    1) Horn crossovers may not work well if they are full crossovers, especially if you change impedance of the woofer section. They may also not balance correctly. Thankfully most have attenuators.

2) If the tuning is very high or the box very small you might get some goofy behavior.

deltalite 10s work well with tunings from 40-55hz and box sizes from 1cf to 2cf or so.

21. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

What's with all this talk of reverse engineering? All of the technical data should be readily available - directly from Carvin. Why wouldn't Carvin share that data with the OP - if he simply asked them for it?

Why reinvent the wheel? :eyebrow:

MM