Carvin BX1200 - Repair/Modify

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gearhead17, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I have a Carvin BX1200 that I would like to have repaired and to have a few custom modifications done to it. It's currently not working properly and I have already had it repaired about a year ago - I prefer to have some non-Carvin parts put into it.

I am looking for someone local in the Chicago area that might be able to help me. If there is someone else you recommend, please let me know. Any help is appreciated. I prefer someone who is familiar with Carvin bass heads or at least really good with solid state heads. Thanks.
  2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Same amp as me and you live close to me (EGV). Have you contacted Midwest Audio? They used to fix my GK stuff.

http://midwestaudio.net/
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Rather than pay good money to change an amp into something it is not, why not find an amp that does what you want right from the start??
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I wonder what's not working properly. Mine's been a rock for about 30-40 gigs so far.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gearhead17

When working, this amp gives me the exact control I desire and the exact tone I want. Not a lot of amp coloring going on with this head - it allows my Spector Euro to really "speak" to me.

If you can find something similar in tone - let me know. I know about the Puma heads, but the prices for the 900 watt version are just too much.
  7. Gearhead17

Midwest Audio did the original fix. They do good work, but their long lead times and poor customer service have annoyed me long enough. It's been over a year since that repair.... I rather get this head working for a long time rather than putting additional garbage parts in.
  8. Gearhead17

I probably did more than 75 gigs with the head. It worked well and is still in good shape - just not working right!
  9. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

What's not working?

I've read about the board connectors in the BX1500 needing a shot of DeOxit from time to time (like the BX500), I wonder if the BX1200 has the same design...

=wr=
  10. BassmanPaul

I would think that the BX1500 should get you into the right ball park.
  11. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

Carvin is bringing out the new BX 1600.
    They should be willing to seriously deal on the leftover BX1500s. :hyper:
  12. Gearhead17

My head makes a loud static noise almost like radio interference when playing or not playing. I have some deoxit, where should I spray it?
  13. Gearhead17

I have no doubt it would, just don't know if I can trust another Carvin Head. However, if I can fix what I have and it works fine for years to come, I would be quite happy with that.
  14. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

I have only read about it, but the BX1500/500 have ribbon cables connecting the internal boards with computerlike plugs and sockets. Unplug a cable, give a shot into the socket and maybe one to the male end, plug and unplug a few times then let dry. As I recall...

I don't know if loud static was the problem the DeOxit solved, might be worth a search through some of the Carvin megathreads.

Add "site:talkbass.com" to a Google search if the talkbass search engine doesn't give good returns...

=wr=
  15. NZBassman

NZBassman

sometimes you can spend $$ fixing your amp / bass and it still doesn't sound as you want it to.... I had a warwick profet 5.1 and the pots were playing up and I had it fixed once and while it was being fixed the 2nd time our drummer borrowed an Ashdown EVO 900 III for me to use..... after spending years with the warwick trying to get a good tone...etc... the Ashdown was that much better.
    So after I got the Warwick back I learnt the guy with the Ashdown was selling it for half the retail price, so it was a no brainer for me to buy it
    I've not looked back!

I'm not saying your amp is crap, but instead of getting it fixed / modified, you might be better off to replace it altogether?
  16. Gearhead17

When it works - it's the sound I want. I was only thinking of defeating the compressor, the crossover network and removing the dual volume controls - just down to one knob. And whatever needed to be fixed, to replace that part with something better/different.

If I replace it, can I trust Carvin's next batch of amps in the BX series? I don't know.
  17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

You never sent it back to Carvin to get fixed so how do you know Midwest Audio did a right thing? What did they replace? It would be a shame if it's a minor fix to rip it all apart. I use every bit of mine, right down to the bi-amp function.

Do a search to find the De-Oxit thing first. Are you running in BRIDGE mode?
  18. BassmanPaul

Try also linking the effects loop send and return jacks with a signal cable. That just might be where the static is originating.
  19. Gearhead17

It was past the one year warranty when it happened - Carvin said I had to go to an authorized repair place. I have always used it in Bridged mode - I should check if the stereo setup produces the same messed up static sound.
  20. Gearhead17

I will definitely try that and see what happens.
  21. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Make sure you have the BRIDGE switch on back in the OUT position when switching from Bridge to either Dual Mono or Bi-Amp mode. The only difference between these (Dual Mono or Bi-Amp ) modes is the when X-OVER switch is engaged (light on), the CROSSOVER knob becomes active. In either you have engaged the second amp's volume knob (AMP2).

Conversely the BRIDGE button on back should be pushed in when running in bridge mode. Sorry if this seems like common sense but I've seen people who didn't realize this.