Carvin bx1500 or b2000

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Koie11, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Koie11

Koie11

Carvin bx1500 or b2000? I'm gonna be running it thru 2 carvin pro series 4x10's
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I've had the bx1500 and it is a VERY full featured amp that sounds great. However, there have been multiple reports of having to clean the ribbon cable so I am not sure I would feel good recommending it.

The b2000 is a much simpler amp and is based on the 'legendary' b1500. It will also do 1300w at 4 0hms without bridging and (I believe) has not had the same ribbon cable issues. Its also more expensive than the bx1500.

If it were me I'd go for the b2000 unless you are someone who likes alot of eq control.

If you are buying new you might even want to hold out for the bx1000 which should be out soon. That one is 600w at 4 ohms and 7lbs and pretty sleek looking.
  3. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

I had a b2000 and two Pro 4x10 cabs for a while. That's a lot of thunder. It was way too much overkill for the band I was in at the time. Even just using one 4x10 cab. I couldn't comfortably haul that much gear and got rid of the whole thing about six months ago. That was after I found out I have Leukemia on top of my existing heart disease. I downsized everything and now have a Markbass mini rig of doom and a GK MB Fusion and a couple GK neo cabs. Weight problem solved and both of those rigs still have enough headroom to gig with.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Personally I would go with two 8 Ohm 410's and the B2000. Even at 4 Ohms it has more than enough juice to turn two 410's into a pile of ash.
  5. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I guess I must be one of the few who has not had a ribbon issue with the Carvin BX1500 :p I can't think of a more versatile amp in it's price range and power rating. I have never played the B2000, but no desire either as it is heavier than the BX1500, and more expensive. And as Bassist has commented, if you want simple, the B2000; if you want more control, the BX1500.
  6. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldnt turn down either amp. That said I have a B1500 which while not light, is king IMHO of the SS amps. I really like how simple/usefull the EQ is, that is why I recommend the B2000 over the B1500, but I can see how the BX1500 meets a lots of people's needs.

Neither is a bad choice, just depends on what you want right?
  7. jnewmark

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    +1, either one is a best bang for the buck. :bassist:
  8. MyMusic

MyMusic

If I needed that much juice, I'd have to go with the B2000. 2000 watts should be able to light up any venue you might play.
  9. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

To me. The B2000 is a bit more "round" or "warm". The Bx is a bit more "Modern" or "sharp". In the bigger picture these are pretty subtle differences.

I went with the 2000 because I'm playing sealed cabs with TONS of distortion. (BTW, a total SVT killer. I own one!). Either way, you will alright. My advise, just get whatever one you can get a better deal on ATM.

P.S. I've never had any problems with any carvin equipment I have ever owned over the past 20 years. That said, I've never owned the Bx1500.
  10. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I love the options I have on my BX1500. She sounds sweet going thru my Carvin RC210 combo cab (I used it to replace the R600 that they came with) and serves as my practice amp and backup to my Ampeg SVT 7.
  11. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

I have one. Its rock solid! That ribbon cable thing scares me. It's the last thing you want to happen at a gig, no amp!

Also, it really sounds great with a VT bass pedal in front of it.
  12. jnewmark

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.

I think the ribbon cable thing is a little overblown, like alot of other amp issues on TB, but it's an easy fix if it happens. Never had the problem myself, going on 5 years now. B1000 sounds interesting, but 600 watts at 4 ohms is'nt a gamechanger for me.
  13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree on the B1000. I was hoping for 1000 @ 4 myself. That said, it should be a real 2 Ohm stable micro. So putting more cabs behind it wouldnt be a difficult thing to do either.
  14. 78Stingray

78Stingray

B2000 +1
    I've had mine for a month and it's solid, deep, warm, and punchy.
  15. lustersilk

lustersilk

I agree with this assessment. I have played both and own the BX1500.
  16. lustersilk

lustersilk

This is what I play out of too. Great match.
  17. braud357

braud357

I cannot imagine needing more power than the BX1500 provides. I have never had the master volume past 1 1/2 on the gigs I have played with it - it is a beast ! I did have a BX500 previously that did have the ribbon problem, but have had no such problems with the BX1500. Personally - I would choose the BX1500 over the B2000 on features alone !
  18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

That is true but I also like having the extra functionality and the two volume knobs on the BX1500. With two 4 ohm cabs he can run in "dual mono" at 450w per cab. If he's on a boomy stage or a concrete floor he can adjust each cab accordingly.

Either way it's good, but a pair of 8 ohm cabs is the way to go IF he gets the B2000, although it will work with 4 ohm cabs.
  19. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I visited the factory showroom on new year's eve day to ask about whether or not the B1000 will have the ribbon cable connector as well. The Carvin employee said, " I think it will, but we'll have a store meeting for that product next week then we'll know for sure..."

Regarding the BX1500 or the B2000 for the OP: it might come down to which features are needed the most.
  20. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    BX1500 for my taste,,,but that is just MY taste......