1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carvin BX1500 vs Hartke LH1000 or KILO

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by backin82, Sep 10, 2013.

1. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Just wondering if anyone can explain some of the tone differences to me?

I've been on the hunt for a solid gigging amp with more power than my hartke 3500. Looking for something with similar tone, features, and controls. I love my 3500, but need more power.

I've never played the BX1500, but have played the LH1000. How does the BX1500 compare, generally? Are they in the same tonal ballpark?

I'm seeing the BX1500 for $500 new right now. Is that right? Seems crazy cheap for something with that much power. I always thought it was $1/watt. You almost can't go wrong at that price, haha.

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The BX1500 is a serious amp plus it's bi-ampable, meaning a decicated volume/amp for each cab or set of cabs. Think about it, you can run two 112's with EACH AMP at 450w per side (4 x 225w). The X-OVER works like an active crossover on a PA system when using a sub/full range setup, like I do with my BX1200.

I have no personal experience with the LH1000 but Bass Gear liked it. It does have an odd EQ curve though. Setting it FLAT is not like other amps. I would read up on that before making a purchase.

3. backin82

I've seen the demo video on their website and played one just the other day. I definitely prefer that sound over any of the MB stuff. I was intrigued and infatuated with MB for a little while, but I've gotten over that. Plus, the guys at GC try to push it so hard that it kinda turns me off. I hate the feeling of people trying to sell things.

The Carvin is only $500 new. That seems insane for what it offers. I might just buy one because of the price alone. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure I could recover some of the cost, but if it does.......oh boy.

4. bass4peace

bass4peace

I dont know if youve seen this but Billy Sheehan talks about the Hartke here>

Sweetwater has the Hartke also for $500
    Carvin also has that try it for 10 days (I think its 10 days) and send it back if you dont like it.
    Personally I dont have experience with either of these but I do have the carvin bx500 which I like and run through an RPM.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. schecter5string

schecter5string

Have you thought about finding an HA5500? Two 3500's in one head, and byampable

7. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

I think you are thinking of a different amp. To my knowledge the 5500 is just the 500watt version of the 3500.

8. backin82

This. He's probably thinking of the KILO.

9. schecter5string

schecter5string

Yep, your right, I stand corrected.

10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

As far as the carvin goes..I think you would have way more tonal options..just with all the controls and whatnot. Tho I cld be wrong..but thats my opinion.

ymmv

11. backin82

Looks like the BX1500 is made in the U.S. as well. Cool.

12. bclark812008

bclark812008 Supporting Member

I had a Hartke LH500 with a Hydrive 4x10 and it was a really nice, clean sounding amp, but I convinced myself that it wasn't 'doing it' for me so I could try some of the micro bass heads.

I've been doing some amp/cab shopping lately and it seems that the BX1500 is a FANTASTIC deal...even buying new...

I'd really like to try a BX1500 but, like you, might just take the plunge anyway because of the price point!

13. backin82

I'm considering one of the LH1000, KILO, or this Carvin paired with one of the new HyDrive cabs from Hartke. The Carvin amp is such an insane deal.

14. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

The BX1500 is my main amp and it's a fantastic amp if it were twice the price. There is so much adjustment available that just about any tone can be achieved. It's also got an unbelievable amount of volume (I use 2 Avatar 212s with it, one on each power amp, and occasionally a pair of 8 ohm Eden 410s on the bridged output at the sound stage.)

15. spz8

spz8

16. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

There you go.

Unless Samson has done something to mess up the output of these amps, I would be willing to wager that a 700 watt version would take care of 95% of gigs. Heck, my 200 watt version of this amp with a single 15 was able to fill some fairly good sized rooms.

17. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

I have the Lh1000/Hydrive 410 and it works for me. That said, if you like an amp with a ton of features, this may not be for you. The Carvin sounds like an excellent deal at that price although I have no experience with it. I will say my Hartke rig gets plenty loud and has a great tone with a good DI as well. I set my EQ around 2-10-2 and tweak from there. (Yes, I do endorse Hartke) As always, try and play before you buy!

18. backin82

I've played the LH1000 and liked it alright, but preferred the tone shaping ability of my Hartke 3500 over the LH1000. Not that its a bad amp, I just like options.

The 5500 and KILO both have the same basic setup as the 3500 (graphic EQ, parametric EQ, etc...). The Carvin looks like that plus a little more. I'm a Hartke fan, and would probably look at a KILO if I found one for a good price. However, the Carvin is only 10lbs, and that is a pretty big selling point to me, especially at that price.

19. schecter5string

schecter5string

20. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

I have a BX 1500 and love it.

21. backin82

What cab do you play it through?