Carvin BX1500 with single 4x10 ????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Toddbass65, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Toddbass65

Toddbass65 Supporting Member

Anyone running this head with a single 4ohm 4x10 cabinet?
    Curious how it works - 450 watts like this right ????

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Works wonderfully like that. You can even mono-bridge it into the cabinet - just listen for signs of distress on the speaker and will be just fine.

3. 5port

5port

I run the BX1500 in small bars with one BRX10.2 and works very well with just 2-10s (450W).

4. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Just use amp number 1 for 750 watts into a single 4x10. If you bridge both amps and turn it past 4 you'll risk cooking your speakers. I run (when my BX1500 was working) the BRX 10.4 (rated for 1100 watts) through just one amp and it's always had lots of headroom.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Just using amp #1 or amp #2 will provide 450W to a 4Ω load not 750W. For that you'd need a 2Ω load.

I fully agree with your statement about bridging. I have been using "stereo" power amps since the late Seventies and have never felt the need to bridge.

As a matter of interest, what went amiss with your BX1500??

7. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

You're right about the wattage. Sorry about that mis-info. Type in "Carvin wait and see" and you'll find the thread.

8. BassmanPaul

Ah that's you. OK now I'm clued in. I have a problem with the tuner send on mine. I'm pretty certain it's a ribbon cable problem. I don't use the jack so it's not too much of a concern as yet.

9. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Just keep the ribbon cables clean and she'll give you years of hard service.

10. Toddbass65

Gonna order the bx1500 monday with 2 of the br 410 cabs. Cabs are 4ohm rated up to 800 watts. So which way will I want to run these to be safest ? Can't cook anything or my wife will shoot me.....if I live past when the bill comes in :).
    I will check with Adam again when I call to order over there, but would like to have a few opinions.
    Thanks!

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I would get the 4 ohm version of the cabs and run them in Dual Mono or bi-amp mode. 450w per cab this way with a TON of flexibility. Plug the lower cab into AMP1 and the upper cab into AMP2. Make sure the AMP BRIDGE switch on the back is OUT (off).
    Once this is set, you can flip the X-OVER switch on (front) and experiment with the CROSSOVER knob. The amp is not quite as loud in bi-amp mode but since you have volume knobs for each cab, you can turn one up, two up, or both up (or down).
    Hopefully you have a big room where you can put it through the paces at loud volume levels so you'll be able to makes changes on the fly in gigging situations.

:bassist:

12. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    Get the BRX cabs...... the end.

13. Toddbass65

Wish I could but not enough in budget :(.
    Thanks for the help. Hopefully they have some good sample settings.
    Play hard rock w/2 guitars. Like to have a little grit but not too much. I like to stay away from too much treble. I love geezers sound on all sabbath stuff. Awesome player.

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The BR's are fine and with that amp you'll blow the doors off your guitar players. As a standalone cab, I prefer the BRX10.4, but as a stack, the BR's are a better choice IMO.
    Getting to know the EQ section on the head is key. The sweet spot (IMO) is setting the Low Mid Freq at 100 and setting the low-mid level around 6. I like the DRIVE straight up at noon at the BASS at 1:00. Now you're getting those burly low mids with plenty of punch and no MUD. Good luck and good choice!

15. lustersilk

lustersilk

I'm running the BX1500 bridged into a BRX 4.10 NEO. Been doing so for about six months and have not been very happy with it. Tone isn't my cup of tea and I've blown two speakers trying to get some decent volume out of the thing. I went back to my old R1000 into my old RL410T and am so much happier.

I'm not slamming Carvin or anything, but the new stuff has not worked so well for me.

16. BassmanPaul

Blown drivers is a result of bridging, too much power into a cabinet that can't handle it. Bridging is about getting more voltage swing into a higher impedance rather than getting every last watt out of an amplifier.

17. lustersilk

lustersilk

I've been running through a BDDI as well. I know why I've blown the speakers, my fault. But they were not cutting through the mix very well at all. My old Carvin rig sounds killer in comparison. It's been really weird and I've tried so many combinations of eq and settings on the BX1500. I wanted to love this setup, but it didn't work for me.

I bridge the old rig through the BDDI and get nothing but love.

18. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    I have a BX1500 that I ran bridged into a BRX410 and NEVER had a problem being heard. Perhaps EQing was asking to much of the cab. I'm not going to bring up the loved/hater fF word, but it is the only cab that would allow me to part from my BRX410. I'd buy the one BRX over two BRs any day. But plenty of people like them just fine.

19. lustersilk

lustersilk

Can you please expound upon this statement a little. I'd like to learn more about what could have been the problem.

20. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    I find that people tun their lows way up and aren't happy with their bass tone because it isn't bassy enough. So they turn it up more. But some people never take the time to step away from their rigs after an EQ adjustment to see how it sound 15 - 20' back. Low frequencies take longer to form, and take more power to be heard. If you can't be heard, try using more mid range (mids are your friends) and you will cut through resulting in less required volume and less stress on your drivers. Check this thread out for a quick rundown.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/how-get-profesional-bass-sound-738430/index2.html#post10402311

21. lustersilk

lustersilk

Thank you so much for that quick explanation and posting that link - much appreciated.