Carvin bx1500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eb3luster, Dec 24, 2011.

1. eb3luster

eb3luster

Looking at a carvin amp at $499 with 900 watts....anyone have an opinion, good or bad.....
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I'd bet that most of the people who posted here do... :meh:

MM
  3. 5port

5port

Nothing but love for the BX1500. Carvin really hit it out of the park with this latest generation of amps. There are quite a few threads already discussing the BX/B series amps. It runs cool,is efficient,has tone, yada,yada,yada. I run mine in stereo mode with one amp driving the 2X10 and the other driving the 1X15. If I bring any other amp to a gig/practice my band members frown. I paid $100 more than they are now. Grab one. Price good till Jan.2,2012.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/carvin-bx1500-first-impressions-811943/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/carvins-bx1500-b2000-615307/
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

Great amp! Mine rocks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

The head does clean tones wonderfully. Very loud and very reliable. I use it all the time. The other great part about it is the midrange - it's smooth sounding and not at all nasally.

In the future, jump on google and look up the BX1500 - you will be able to find BX1500 reviews and thread topics off of talkbass in the google search results.
  7. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Love mine and would never get rid of it unless I finally take the plunge into all tube heads. Very solid SS head, and the tube pre is really good too.
  8. Ric_thumb60659

Ric_thumb60659

I got one a few months ago and it is awesome. you can do what ever you want with it, but...Im not sure on reliability because after 2 months of not so heavy use mine broke (sending it in to get repaired) it just crackles and fades in and out. not sure whats wrong with it. hope it doesn't happen again once fixed.

But still an awesome amp haven't heard of any one else having problems with there's. has this happened to any one else?
  9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I had the same thing happen - it's an easy fix. Mine is just under 2 years old.
  10. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Carvin's BX amps are great bang for the buck, but the internal ribbon connectors are the weak link. It's a pain if you're in the middle of a rehearsal or performance when they crap out. My BX500 had this problem. It's easy to fix with some contact cleaner - just pull all the ribbon cables off, spritz 'em, put it back together. But it's just a matter of time until it happens again.
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

Man, I don't like to hear that. How many times has it happened to you? I assume your bx500 sees alot of use?
  12. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    +1. I don't even know what a ribbon cable is ! No problem with mine yet.
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Mine either.
  14. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Not only do I dig my BX1500... but my snooty audiophile band mates do too. No problems with it yet in its 1 year of hard gigging.

I'm sure not saying it's the BEST amp out there - probably far from it - but it's the best for my limited $$. The cab you choose is more important IMHO.

Here's a consideration: Its price is so reasonable, and its weight is so minimal, I may just buy a bx250 and store it in my rack as an instant spare.
  15. rtz

rtz

Just got mine and loving it! Customer service is awesome as well. First until arrived with something rolling around inside. Was able to get a few white pieces thru the fan vent. Thought it was ceramic pieces but they crumbled very easily in my fingers. Unit ran great however I still emailed customer service stating what happened. No questions asked they sent me a return UPS label. Before I could get my unit packed up and shipped a replacement new unit was at my door! Gotta love that!!!
  16. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I got my BX500 used through the TB classifieds. I took it to Jazz Camp West, used it as a practice amp, and took it to low-volume rehearsals. I didn't have any gigs last year, not for lack of trying. :(

The first thing to start acting funny was the tube, but bypassing it worked fine, so at first I thought it was a bad tube. Then the amp started to go silent intermittently. Then it went silent during a rehearsal, at which time I commenced "deep tissue massage" (unplugging and reconnecting all the ribbon cables I could reach) and all was well again. Over the holidays I took it apart and hit every connector with a good contact cleaner, and that's when the tube started working again.

I've learned over the years that connector problems are never permanently fixed. So while I've only had to fix it one time so far, I anticipate it will happen again.

Don't get me wrong, I love my BX500. But Carvin's habit of cutting corners on components like connectors and pots is their Achilles' heel, and probably the only thing keeping them from being proper working-pro gear.
  17. 5port

5port

I've had my BX1500 since the week they were first sold last year. Never had a ribbon cable problem. Only problem I had was at one rehersal the input jack loosened up. I actually thought the keyboard player tripped over my cable. It turns out the center nut backed out on its own. I removed the top cover and tightened the nut. Havent had a problem since. After a year and a half its been a very reliable amp.

I have it mounted in the SV2 Carvin 2 space case that makes it twice as heavy. I would like to find something lighter to mount it in:

[​IMG]

I was able to snag the Carvin heavy duty cloth cover last year. Not sure if they still sell it:

[​IMG]
  18. rtz

rtz

Well my bx1500 just started dropping out, distorting, and low output. Its less than a month old....not happy. Not sure if I should ship it back or just take it apart and clean the ribbon connectors??
  19. 5port

5port

Interesting dilema in that you are under warranty. You will have to pay shipping. Too bad you dont live close enough for a walk in. In principle they should fix it as you shouldnt have to mess with it so soon. Give them a call and see what they say first. They might pick-up shipping both ways.
  20. MyMusic

MyMusic

I'm happy to say that I have a BX500 bought new 14 months ago, a BX1500 bought used a couple of months ago, and a BX250 in the mail. So far I've had no problems with either unit and in order to try to keep it this way, I'm just going to start doing preventive maintenance. I'm going to spray the ribbon connectors every 6 to 9 months and hope that this can stave off any problems. This used to work with equipment that I worked on in the military.
  21. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Next time you do this, will you document the procedure with pics ? I've heard this explained before, but still not getting exactly what is involved. Thanks in advance.