CARVIN BX700 & 4-10 CAB ... WOW !!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tercesyrev, Mar 19, 2014.

1. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Ok, so my initial plan was to get a high end, high powered combo amp; i.e. MarkBass or something else intending to add an extension cab later. Then pricing shock occured.

So after some research I ended up with Carvin's new BX700 head & their relatively light and portable BR 410 - 4 ohm cabinet. As my daughter would say .. OMG.

Right now I'm pushing 500 watts, and when I add another cab (1x15 or 2x10) it will be pushin 700 watts @ 2ohm! I mentioned in another thread this thing BOOMS, PUNCHES & SCREAMS. The tonal options on the head are mind numbing plus Carvin threw in the footswitch that controls the amp's mute and equalizer on/off functions. All this for nearly the same $$ than the combos I was looking at (including the extension cab).

I've read complaints of the BX500 reliability in the past but they are seemingly outwieighed 3 to 1 by the positive reiviews. The guys at Carvin told me they've made enhancements to address past quality issues. Hopefully this "new & improved" version will stand the test of time. So far I think this is an incredible value for new gear. Can't wait to add the extension cab!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Dont add a 115 or a 210, unless that 210 is 8 Ohms and in the same product line. A matching 410 is a better bet.
  3. neddihem

neddihem

I have the BX500 and it's a great amp. I'm itching to trade up for the BX700 model. I really like the idea of pouring out 700 watts at 2ohms. Also like the pre/post feature too. Not to mention it's appearance seems more tasteful. I called Carvin today and they said the BX700 will run at 2 ohms all day.

I know they're relatively new but does anyone else have one of these?
  4. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

Dood. Pics. Not many people will have seen that amp in the wild.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tercesyrev

Just a quick trip to the Carvin website ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Congrats on the new Carvin! I love their amps, they have a pristine, accurate quality about them. Some say it's "sterile", but the clarity isn't baked in as you can dial up all the warmth and thump you want.

Enjoy!!
  8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Carvin is mind blowing. I have a bunch of unused Ampeg stuff gathering dust now. They just became collector amps.
  9. neddihem

neddihem

Yep, I used to be an Ampeg guy until I met Carvin.
  10. tercesyrev

I have to say the more I toy around with this head the more amazed I am. The tone options are endless. It's almost addicting experimenting with the different sounds this thing can create. All the tone controls makes it near impossible not to find what you're looking for, especially with the 9 band eq to put the icing on the cake

The power just keeps coming. Really looking forward to adding a 2-10 cab to draw out all 700 watts. From all indications Carvin will futher strengthen their position in the micro head market. Amazing this only weighs 5lbs.

The BR410 cabinet performs so well and doesn't feel like a pallet of cinder blocks like some cabs do. Very manageable to move around. Really glad I went this route instead of spending the same or more on a combo amp.
  11. StraightSix

StraightSix

^

This.
  12. tercesyrev

Carvin told me it would be fine to add a BRX 2-10 4 ohm.
  13. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

A 410 and a 210 combined that both have the same impedance will probably work fine for your needs, if you don't crank it up very much, but think of it this way: You'll have each cab getting 350 watts, each of the speakers in your 410 will only have to deal with around 87.5 watts. Each speaker in your 210 will have deal with 175 watts. If the 210 cab was an 8Ω version, the power distribution for each of the tens will be even.

Just be aware the 210 will be much more likely to start farting out than the 410 will if the power is cranked up enough. The difference between running your amp at 2Ωs or 2.67 ohms (with the 4Ω 410 and an 8Ω 210) will not be noticeable.
  14. tercesyrev

Yes, you're right that's why I contacted Carvin to make sure. The Carvin BRX 210 NEO is rated at 600 watts so it can handle the power (vs the BR 210 that's rated at 400). There's alot of praise on TB for these BRX 210 NEOs. Super heavy duty, rarely fart out and relatively light. Once I get one I'll provide an update.
  15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Unfortunately Carvin doesn't manufacture an 8-ohm BRX cab - of any configuration: They're all 4 ohms - 4x10, 2x10, whatever.

If I wanted a Carvin rig - and I wanted to move some serious air - I'd simply add a second BRX 4x10...and step up to a BX1600 head. Or more probably to the big daddy: the B2000. Yep. :bassist:

MM
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Don't assume you'll ever need more than the single 410 with that head. Even if you do festival gigs it should be plenty if you EQ right. The head is flexible enough to "project" a lot of volume without detroying your speakers. The built-in compressor does a fine (musical) job of limiting spikes of speaker-killing power too. I keep mine from 9:00 to 10:00, depending on the demands of the gig, and it evens things out without over-squashing dynamics.

I myself would have purchased a pair of the BR210-8 (8 ohm) cabs so I could stack them either verically or horizontally, and also have the option of using just one of them. If one blows you're still in business too. That's me though. If you don't mind hauling two 410's then it's not a problem.
  17. blixild

blixild Supporting Member

I had a BX1500 and a BR210. It was my go-to rig for most gigs and I never had to turn the volume past 4. The BX1500 was an awesome amp. Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones - the power amps died after a year and half of owning the amp, and Carvin wanted $300 plus shipping to repair it, so I ended up just buying a used Eden.
  18. tercesyrev

Well I added the BRX 2-10 NEO to the BR410, pushed in the 2 ohm button on the amp, and the way we go!!!

The BX 700 head handles it with no problem at all. I can't turn it pass the 12 o'clock position inside the house because its extremely loud ... with room go. I'll tell you what those drivers in the BRX cabinet are really nice.
  19. neddihem

neddihem

Very interesting, I really want to get one of these heads. Yes more powerful amps, for more money, will push the cabs a lot easier but still 700 watts is a lot of power.