CARVIN CABS: BRX18.1 vs BR118

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ArturoOsito, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ArturoOsito

ArturoOsito Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm checkin out Carvin's new bass cabs, and it looks like their newest iterations are high quality enough to be taken seriously. They offer the BR and the BRX. What is the difference between these two? Is it just that the BRX cabinets are way sturdier, or do they actually use better drivers? I know that with the 2x10s the BRX are ported and the BR are not, but what about the 15s and 18s that are ported in both?

I'm def gonna get a BRX10.2, the only question is for my sub would it be worth it to spend the extra cash and weight on a BRX18.1. If they have better drivers I might, but if it's just that sturdy coating then I'll pass...
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Best idea is to get two of the BRX10.2.
  3. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

I just looked at the website and compared both their 18" cabs, and they appear to use the same driver...both have the same specs and if you look at their 18" drivers that they have for sale, they only have two 18" drivers available; ceramic and Neo...and neither of those enclosures uses the Neo driver...but like Bassman Paul, why not get two BRX 10.2's? Unless youre just dying to bi-amp.
  4. ArturoOsito

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting...so really the only difference is that coating? I don't like the sound of all tens. The styles that I favor are very bass-heavy (hip hop, electronica) and I'm not going for string-articulation. So a sub is necessary. Well if it's the same driver then I'm goin with the BR!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

You're making the common mistake that lows depend on the size of the driver. It's a myth, nothing more. If you want to run a sub you'll have to have a bi-amp rig. One that contains two power amps and an electronic crossover to split the signal into highs and lows. If you go that route the 2x10 would be a waste and a couple of sixes would do the job.
  7. ArturoOsito

Media:
    Albums:
    I totally disagree. I've done extensive experimenting to come to this conclusion, and I started with no preconceptions as to speaker size. In fact, I wanted to believe that 10s could give a bass-heavy enough sound. An 8x10 gets pretty close, but I'm not about to truck around an 8x10. Every 4x10 I tried (running eq flat) was much more "string-focused" than the rigs I tried that included subs. When I tried an 18 on its own, it had a "woofy" quality that is precisely what I'm after. It lacked definition, but had the type of giganticness that is inherent to the styles I enjoy. When I added 10s (using an amp that didn't have a bi-amp function) it added definition, and sounded like home.

I know people like to talk about what a "myth" it is that different speaker sizes have essentially the same frequency response. But I did extensive testing and have come to a different conclusion.

And the amp I'm getting does bi-amp, and features a crossover.

The whole point of this thread was to discuss the differences between the BRX and BR cabs, not to debate speaker sizes. But after several clinical trials controlling for room dynamics and amp characteristics, I've concluded that mixing cabs can provide fantastic results.
  8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Are those Carvin 18's really subs?, or just big 18" full range cabs? You keep mentioning the word subs, and that's a very specific type of enclosure, designed to do exactly what you want. But, otoh, if these are just big full range cabs, you'd be better off with something else.
  9. ArturoOsito

Media:
    Albums:
    The amp-head I'm using features a crossover, so it will indeed act as a sub.

Does anyone besides Thundar have any input as to the difference between the BRX and BR series cabs??
  10. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Sounds like youve done your homework and know what you want. To be honest, I love 18's and have often wanted to get two 18" cabs for a serious thunderfest. But running an 18 by itself leaves a little lacking in the high end, even though Im not big on highs anyways.
    Hey, its your idea and your money, go for it!
    It does appear that the only difference in the BRX and the BR is the cab construction and finish...and the weight...there is about 10 pounds difference in the two cabs.
  11. ArturoOsito

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh I'm definitely gonna put a 2x10 on top. I loved the girth of the 18 but it definitely didn't have enough definition on its own.

Thanks for the insight on the cabs! To me, it's really not worth the cash and poundage just for a sturdier cab...the ported 2x10 will be awesome, though.

A BX1500 with a BRX10.2 and a BR118...should be sweet!
  12. MyMusic

MyMusic

Carvin is very good about answering questions about its gear. Your best bet is to call them and get it from the horse's mouth.
  13. BassmanPaul

Fair enough Arturo, I gave you my input. It's entirely up to you to take it or leave it. :D
  14. ArturoOsito

Media:
    Albums:
    Haha! Fair enough! If I had a road crew I'd get two 4x10s and two 1x18s...
  15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Sound guys love you. lol
  16. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I used to own the 1X15 + 2X10 stack with a bi amp Carvin head (SX 600 or something, like the BX 1500). I bi-amped and the sound was godlike....I have been considering going back to that rig only with a 18 for the lows (like you).
    I know the "chant" of matching cabs, but my experience taught me that the Carvin stack was and would be great. Bi amping would only make it "the BEAST !"

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

The only info I have on the difference between the cabs your looking at is the same as you, what I read... but I have seen some 18" NEO driver cabs on e bay in the Carvin store