Carvin closing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Carlo Tanori, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Carlo Tanori

Carlo Tanori

I just read a post by Bunny Brunel on Facebook that Carvin is closing their Hollywood & Santa Ana, CA stores on April 26th.
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I am surprised they even have storefronts. That have such a great online business.

I would be shocked if they are doing anything other than stellar businesswise.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Don't know... but I could certainly believe it.

Hollywood store would be one of the last of a dozen or more guitar stores that USED to be in that block across from Guitar Center on Sunset. I'm sure it was not cheap to occupy that space. The Santa Ana store had horrible parking, and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did in that depressed downtown area.

I have noted Carvin being much more aggressive in online and eBay marketing lately. I guess it's just one more step down that road.
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Your title is misleading. Should specify that the stores are closing, not the company.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elgecko

elgecko

I was trying to buy a pair of speaker stands from the Hollywood store a while back. The brand new, fresh from the box stands were missing the clutch units that hold the speaker at the desired height. A tag team of salesmen tried to tell me "That's how they are. The weight is held up by the removable safety pins". :rolleyes:

I drove straight to the Santa Ana store and got great service there. I feel bad that the Santa Ana crew will be losing their gig.
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Me, too. I lived in Anaheim Hills, worked in Costa Mesa, could stop by the Santa Ana store on the way home. Great guys there, great service!
  8. awilkie84

awilkie84

It's not misleading, it's just incomplete. :p
  9. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

A big fear of mine is that Carvin would close before I got my SB4000.
  10. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

That is going to suck. I go to the Hollywood store all the time and prefer to order my basses in person there. The new management they got there in the last few months is really on it and it's a shame they are doing that.

I wish they would just look for cheaper real estate in The Valley or something.
  11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

Wholeyweird and Santa Ana are both closing according to the postcard I got from Carvin today.

Dan K.
  12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

That actually makes sense. Those stores likely don't generate that much business - - and old Guitar Row on Sunset just ain't what it used to be.
  13. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

I'va always felt like they could generate more interest
    if they opened more stores, in other areas.
  14. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

That's too bad. I got an SB5000 and several gig bags, might not have gotten them if not for the store front. The people I dealt with there were very nice. :(
  15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

To be honest, who would want to walk into a store that only carried one brand...unless of course you had complete loyalty to that brand and were willing to actually spend money there.

Business.
  16. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Ye ol' brick and mortar stores are having a tough go of it. Another reason to buy local when one can. I hate to see the disappearance of the family businesses, as well. Carvin will be fine doing their (often custom) mail order biz. Life will be just fine for them. They really seem to be intent on the newer lines of basses and guitars. Their other gear (with the exception of some pieces parts) are made in the USA - let's hope that continues... :bassist:
  17. Seryna

Seryna

Which is misleading.