Carvin DCM2004L - 4 channel pow amp

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bassjnky1, Jan 5, 2014.

1. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone could offer some opinions and experiences with Carvin's 4 channel power amp; the DCM2004L. For the sake of convenience I need to add 4 channels of low weight power. The form factor of this amp is irresistible with 4 separate channels weighing a total of 10 lbs and all in 2 rack spaces.
    I have not found enough reviews to give me that secure feeling that I would not be giving up performance or sound quality. For the small gigs that it would be used for the 300 watts per channel at 8ohms shoud be fine. Two mains and 2 monitors...and done!

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Almost a good idea...I just hate the idea of putting all my eggs into one basket. To clarify: if one channel goes ka-put, you lose the entire component for the term of repair. Not a problem if you keep spares on hand and/or can re-assign other power components as required.

My buddy, Ken, managed to smoke a brand-new Carvin amp a few gigs back. It wasn't a defective unit either just a pure & simple case of mis-adventure (he pushed it beyond its recommended limits). Either way, he fried it....complete with the magic smoke! Good thing he keeps a spare in his trunk.

Riis
  3. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

I see Riis' point about single point of failure, but...I have several Carvin power amps and haven't had any issues. I have 2 DCM3000L's and a DCM2000L. Used them several times per week for a few years and no problems.

--jack
  4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Solid amp that punches way above its weight. This is my amp of choice for small gig passive wedges when you're schlepping the PA.

I haven't used it this way, but its enough to run tops and 2-3 monitors for small bar gigs.