1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin Guys! Need Help To ID Bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass10bfb, Feb 14, 2014.

1. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Supporting Member

Hey guys; thanks for looking. I am on the verge of making a trade for a 6 string Carvin bass. I have never owned a Carvin nor do I know much about them at all. I would like any help in identifying this bass. I will tell you what I have been told about it and post the few pics I was given:

Owner says it is a LB76 6 string fretless. He says it is made with Koa wood (at least that's what one of the woods is supposed to be); the serial number on the bass is 51835; that is literally all he can tell me about it.
    The owner is a drummer who got a trade package deal and this came in it; he says he is just trying to get something on trade since he is not a bass player.

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated!! Here are the pics:

*****Sorry for the crappy pics; this is what I was sent and is all I have of it.*****

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. bassteban

bassteban

Looks like an LB76, looks like koa. Contact Carvin- the serial number can likely ID it
  3. tmsbandman

tmsbandman

Not sure Carvin will be any help. I don't think their records are very standardized. I bought an Carvin IC4 last Spring and it's my favorite bass. I'd definitely recommend their basses.
  4. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

5. bass10bfb

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think Carvin would be able to help; in fact that is what their website says. Having the serial number really does not mean much as far as identification.
    Anybody else have anything..... and thanks again guys for the help!!
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Yep, LB76 from the mid 90's. You want my honest opinion on these? Here it goes.

It has a Wilkinson bridge which I hate. The saddles do not lock down and there is not enough downforce on the strings. Look at that closeup of the B string saddle. It's all the way down on the body and there is almost no break angle on the string. Scary. Plan on a bridge replacement.

I also feel that these have very weak electronics. The B string is also not strong because the pickups are not wide enough.

Again, just my opinion based on experience. I had an LB76 just like it but it had a matching headstock. Ordered it brand new in 1992!
  7. bass10bfb

Thanks mmbongo; and yes I do want honest opinions. Its good to here something from somebody who has had one. I noticed the setup at the bridge and was alarmed right away. The guy said it did need to be intonated.
    What about a value on it; also, would it be worth getting to fix up with a new bridge and electronics?? I can't do that right away for sure, but maybe in the future sometime.... who knows; just mot sure if it is worth it or not....
  8. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

LB76 Koa is correct. Probably mid 90s, before the Hipshot bridge was used. This will be a killer bass, just replace the bridge with the Hipshot for this bass sold at carvin.com.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

FWIW, I bought a very similar used Carvin (of approximately the same vintage) in 2007 for about $650. Mine was alder, not koa (and this does look like koa to me) so if anything this one should be worth a bit more, but I bet you could still get the guy down to the $500 range. Carvins are wonderful; a new one now will have better electronics and a better bridge, but the build quality has always been there. So if you can get a decent price, it's definitely worth making the upgrades, IMO.
  10. bass10bfb

Sweet; thanks guys!!! I was figuring (if I can) to actually go play it and check the feel and the neck and go from there. The guy is a drummer, and is asking way too much for this bass IMO. He wants to trade but the stuff of mine he wanted was outrageous... if I can talk him down, I agree it might be worth it.
    FYI... he is asking for 3 items I have and the trade value on all 3 of them together is $1,150 or so.
  11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

You can buy a brand new LB76 for that (but not a koa one) and not have to upgrade a thing. That guy's out of his mind. :rollno: Run, Forrest!
  12. bass10bfb

LOL!! Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. I have to drive at least an hour and a half one way just to meet him to see it...... that's is why I am asking for help from you guys to see if it is worth it....... thanks again guys; you have all been a great help so far!!!
  13. bassteban

bassteban

Also, Carvins are very well-built but not rare- they come up FS pretty regularly, and at good deals.
  14. bass10bfb

Yeah for sure; I have seen a few; the one thing about this deal would be the guy wants to trade. I don't have cash due to being out of work, but have tons of stuff fs/ft. Things are moving slowly where I live; it is hard to sell anything right now without practically giving it away. I would like to keep from doing that if possible!:bawl::bawl:
  15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

This is on sale at the Carvin site. Brand new, $1,029

[​IMG]
  16. bass10bfb

Thanks smcd!!!! I think he is way off on his price compared to what I am seeing new like this one.
    He probably won't like me telling him all this info, but hopefully he can come down on his trade value and we can make a deal. I would love to try out a Carvin; you hear a lot of good testimonies about them, but I have never had the opportunity to pick one up and play it.
    Thanks again!!!
  17. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Yeah I'd say $500 tops as long as the truss rod works properly...which needs to be checked out since the truss rod cover is missing.
  18. bass10bfb

Exactly; that was the first thing I will check because I had the same thought. His reason was that the previous owner took it off because he had his name engraved on it. This could be true, but still needs checked out for sure.
    Seeing that bridge issue, missing truss rod cover, scratchy pots he also mentioned, leads me to know it needs checked out good for sure.
  19. bass10bfb

The seller also mentioned a couple of the tuners were off when he got it and were laying in the case...... I am wondering why????? He said he put them back on and they were fine..... I still wonder why???

Also, I have never seen a truss rod nut like this one... is it normal??? From the picture I know it is hard to tell, but I have personally never seen anything like that.
  20. bassteban

bassteban

Way high asking price...
    Admittedly wonky electronics...
    Missing truss rod cover...
    Questions re tuners...
    All this we know- what else might be going on here? A parade of red flags