Carvin Icon 6 vs. LB6 differences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fusionman, Dec 15, 2012.

1. fusionman

fusionman

I've searched this forum, and the Carvin site. I can't find a definitive statement on the difference between these two models. Obviously I see body style, and available pups. But you'd think they would (or someone here would) be able to make a declarative statement on this Q.

Any thoughts from those of you that have played both...or at least tested both? Hard to purchase in the midwest when there aren't any for sale here. (or any string configuration of either)

2. El-Bob

El-Bob

I've been wondering this as well. Every time I see someone post about an Icon, I see other comments telling them to consider other models instead. I'm not sure what's up with that, and have not seen a clear answer on here. Personally I think the Icon is the most aesthetically pleasing bass they offer, although the Bromberg looks nice as well.

Are the differences aesthetic only, or is there more to it?

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

With the same pickups, it's pretty much the same bass with a differently shaped body and headstock. The necks have the same specs, the preamp and hardware is the same, so I doubt you notice anything but subtle differences. My LB70 and Icon 4 feel very similar when I'm playing them. They sound quite different, but they have totally different pickups. Hopefully someone who has a six stringer of each model will chime in.

4. fusionman

fusionman

Thanks for that. Can you give a quick sentence or phrase on "how" they sound different. What are the tone quality differences? Thanks much.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

http://www.carvinguitars.com/pickups/

This will get you a start. If you search the pickup and electronics forum for Carvin, you'll get a good amount of info, too.

Basically, the soapbars are deeper and more hifi sounding, the J99s are closer to a Jazz Bass tone. The H50s are somewhere in between, I'd say, but closer to the J99s. All of these pickups are available on both the Icon and LB70.