Carvin LB70 - good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TDR1138, Feb 10, 2014.

1. TDR1138

TDR1138

I've got an offer for a koa Carvin LB70 in exchange for a bass I have on local CL - I won't go into details because I don't have it posted here, but I'm valuing it abound $500. The Carvin is a little older, with the Wilkinson bridge, pointy headstock and a 3-band EQ. I don't know much about Carvins, so I'm not gonna take a stab at age, but it appears to be in pretty good shape overall. So, any thoughts on it as a $500-ish trade?

2. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Very fair trade if you just look at market value, and LB70s are typically undervalued so probably an overall win.

/rick

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Carvins are excellent basses with horrific resale value. $500 is about right for one in pristine condition.

4. TDR1138

TDR1138

Thanks... Looks to be in great shape, maybe a little pitting on the good hardware, but no obvious dings or anything. Jard case included, too. I guess it was a backup, so not played too much. Still mulling it over... It's a bit of a drive before I can get up to see it in person.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. millsbass5

millsbass5

Those are some great basses. As a matter of fact, they're really great basses. By you saying it has the Wilkinson Bridge, I'd venture to say the bass you're considering is circa '92-'96. And, you can narrow it down even more by identifying the tuning keys. If they're Sperzels, I'd say it's from the earlier part of the era I'd mentioned. One piece of advice..... Change that Wilkinson Bridge. Those things blow. The rest of the bass? Amazing, for the money, to say the least. You certainly won't regret it, for sure. My LB75Koa is my main player, and I have some really nice boutique & vintage basses that's worth way more than my Carvin.

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Bundie Cenac from the band Mandrill plays locally and uses a late 90's Carvin with the Wilkinson bridge still on it. Sounds great!!

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

It's roughly in the ball park for an early-90s Carvin LB70 - which this instrument almost certainly is. Agreed with millbass5: Get rid of that Wilkinson bridge. It's a piece of crap. I speak from personal experience here.

The Koa Carvins are reputed to be among the nicest instruments they've made. Koa yields a beautiful, sweet tone which is highly prized. They're very easy on the eyes as well.

MM

9. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I can't speak as to the "market value," but I can't imagine a much better bass at $500 than a koa LB-70. My walnut LB-70 has been my main bass for about a dozen years.

10. RickBlair

RickBlair

I'm not understanding the complaints about the Wilkinson bridge.

I have a 1992 LB75F with Koa body (no charge option at the time!) with Maple neck and Ebony fingerboard that I ordered new. The Wilkinson bridge has never given me a reason to even think about it. It (A) holds the strings up and (B) adjusts for intonation quite well.

That's about all I ever ask of a bridge.

To the OP's question, I would try to get the Carvin for closer to $400.

Rick B.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

In my opinion, you should ask more from a bridge than that.

The Wilkinson bridge I owned had small screws that protruded down vertically from the underside of the saddles - used for saddle height adjustment. Problem is, those tiny screws were the ONLY direct point of contact between the saddles and the base plate underneath.

If you consciously tried to design a bass bridge to minimize the effect of attack, sustain and resonance as much as possible, you could hardly make it much worse than this one. Is that one also the Wilkinson design that you own?

MM

12. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Yes, $500ish in trade sounds fair for a Koa LB-70. Great bass.

+1. The one that came on my LB-70 rattled on the G string saddle. Nothing could make it go away. I replaced the Wilkinson with a Schaller roller bridge which Carvin had used prior to the Wilkinson.

13. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

My local shop (not guitar center) has a nice used LB70. They're asking $699. It's one of the best basses I've played in that store. Neck is great.

14. Lo-E

Lo-E

Great basses and $500 sounds about right to me as well.

I passed up a fretless koa LB-50 in a Philadelphia pawn shop 17 years ago that was up for $400 (which was on the high side at that time) and I'm still kicking myself for it. I still remember what the neck felt like. It was perfect. The LB-70 is a much-improved design over the LB-50 and it would be hard to touch equal quality to a Carvin for $500 anywhere.

15. TDR1138

TDR1138

Good input, thanks.

Two things keeping me on the fence right now... First, I'd be giving up my only 5 for another 4. But I rarely play it. Second, I'm used to G&Ls and Fenders, tonally, so this would be a departure from my comfort zone. Not necessarily a bad thing, though.

So, regarding the bridge, is it a universal mounting pattern, or would replacing it require plugging and drilling for new holes?

16. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I have a six string version and the hole pattern is exactly the same as a 4 string Fender 5 hole.

17. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

No redrilling nor plugging for the Shaller roller bridge. The Wilkinson has 3 screws near the ball end of the strings and 2 more screws near the neck end. The Shaller bridge screw holes line up with the 3 holes and it hides the other 2 holes.

Depending upon your preferred string height, the Shaller bridge may be a little low at it's highest height adjustment. The bridge comes with a 3mm spacer. I had to add additional 3 mm spacer to get it to my desired height (I play upright and wack the hell out of electric bass strings :p) . The spacer only costs about $10.

18. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Hi.. I have a carvin icon 4 string. even though carvin resale value is not good. I would burn the bass before I would sell it for 500 . but if u get a good deal great!!

Bill

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

The saddles are not solidly mounted and are free to rotate and slide up and down killing sustain and tone.

They also do not have enough break angle on the strings causing all kinds of issues.

20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

The break angle is fine if you use the lower slot for the string ball ends. Many people use the upper slot and don't know the lower slot is even available. To me, the bridge is adequate. I'd rather have a Hipshot any day, though.

21. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

LB70 in action. I find the active/neck thru vibe a nice complement to my passive bolt-ons. There are some projects (like this one) where it just seems to be the "right" bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQ5w87vgFY

/rick