1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin LS1523 PA cab as substitute bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chubrocker, Sep 29, 2011.

1. chubrocker

chubrocker

I'm considering getting a PA system again for small-med sized venues. While researching I found the Carvin LS series LS1523 that is kinda-in-a-way-similar to fEarful design with two 15" and two 6" with horn. Would this be a possible bass cab? I've used a plain 15" PA cab before, but this is considerably different design. It wouldn't be a main cab, but just curious. The cab bi-amps as well as full range.
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Do a search. This is an old topic.
  3. chubrocker

chubrocker

I googled, but didn't do a main search here. Will do. I found other thread about PA speakers, just not this specific model.
  4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

5. chubrocker

chubrocker

6. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Old news is bad news since the first revision was rather under-braced for the panel sizes, and had questionable crossover durability. But I think it gets worse - because Carvin switched drivers to less suitable drivers, and doesn't always continue to manufacture something with the same materials or internal design as time goes by, either.
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I auditioned the cabs with the 400w per channel Carvin powered mixer and was quite stunned at the volume and clarity of these Carvin cabs.
    They're less than 300 bucks new, right? Nobody's suggesting they'll put out like the best SVT810 but for the money it will certainly work, and work well.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=LS2153

:cool:
  8. rondohd

rondohd

I use a 1523 with an Acoustic 370. It works well for me.
    Rondo
  9. chubrocker

chubrocker

Is it newer/recent purchase? greenboy's comments concern me...Carvin has the potential to be sooo great....but they fall short in some areas IMO. Altho I've liked their PA stuff.

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Off topic but will comment the Carvin LS1503 sounds quite good for bass guitar. Good luck.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The LS model isn’t there top-of-the-line and only costs 279.00 plus shipping. Their top-of-the-line TRS cabs are more suited for higher volume and definition, but even those are somewhat affordable compared to say, QSC’s. The LS1523 is designed to steer the lowest frequencies to the lower 15 and the low-mids to the middle 15. It’s not an ideal cab but it sounds great and the price is rather painless.
  12. rpsands

rpsands

For club PA you'd be much better off with two 1x12+horns and a 2x18 sub or so. Most PA systems in clubs are horribly unbalanced and sound like crap for this reason.

Put'em on sticks, cross them over, put the subs in the center in front.