1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin PA Sytems

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Roaddog77, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Hi,

I've had a couple friends with Carvin PA systems and they seem pretty nice. I've put a band together and I'm wondering exactly how much PA I'll need. We play surf, 60's garage rock, rockabilly and twangy stuff like Commander Cody and Duane Eddy. While we're not quiet I don't think we have the same needs as a metal band.

Are these systems, based on their XP800L enough for most of what we'll run into?

http://www.carvinguitars.com/group/6_channel_pa_systems

While most larger venues and places that run a lot of music will have their own sound I'd like to have enough to play outdoors. Street festivals, large parties and such.

Thanks in advance!
  2. BadB

BadB

I don't think that 250W will get your vocals out there over the drums. Are you planning on a vocal only PA?
  3. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

I'm not sure yet. I was looking at some of their bigger systems but had a friend tell me this would probably work for us outside. The money isn't an issue beyond wanting to stretch it as far as I can while we're getting started. I want something I can use for a while and not worry about having to upgrade. I'm just wondering because it's quite a bit cheaper than the XP1000 based systems and would free up some money that I could use on other things for us.
  4. modulusman

modulusman

Well your friend is wrong. if you plan on playing outside you will need to mic instruments and drums. a 6 channel mixer is more suited to playing small crowds indoors. I would not waste money on a powered mixer if you don't want to upgrade soon.
  5. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

OK I thought it seemed a little small but I've never had to worry about the PA other than helping load and unload it when we had a big beast of a cabinet.

So you'd suggest a mixer board with a rack PA and such? I've played with both. Those all in one mixers are so light and easy to move though.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

...and, all too frequently, limited in terms of power and application potential. I'd go with a DIY box with mixer, amps, peripherals, etc. I can go on CraigsList (or TB, for that matter) and find everything I need in about an hour provided I'm not too picky.

Riis
  7. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Look into powered cabinets. If you like Carvin, their PM12A would be something to consider; all the usual suspects make similar cabinets. For bigger/outdoor gigs you might want to add a sub. You can use them with most any mixer, so you can upgrade one thing at a time.
  8. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I purchased the equivalent to this like 4 years ago on Black Friday.
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/RX1200L-1503

My powered mixer came from Carvin mounted in anvil-type road case, and I also bought speaker stands as well.

I've used it a handful of times with a 4 piece band outdoors, and it worked fine.

I'm happy with mine.
  9. pflash4001

pflash4001

I like that mixer and was pretty disappointed it came out about 6 months after I got my Peavey. I love that the lines in on the first few channels double as inserts. I think that makes them much more handy than my Peaveys in some regards. I have 2 Peavey (6 &8 channel) powered mixers I use for rehearsals or small vox pa only gigs, but I also use them to push my monitors when I rum my full PA system. That may be something to consider. Get something small like this and don't chuck it later. Grow your system and use this for monitors.
  10. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The PM12As are quite nice. We have a pair. Stand-alone vocal PA for small venues, monitors for larger shows.
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I get away with a 6- channel Yamaha powered mixer...BUT...I also tie in another 6-channel non-powered mixer for more channels.....AND....it has enough ins and outs to patch it through an active XO, so, when needed, I have the powered mixer playing north of 100hz and an additional poweramp plus sub carrying the bottom. The "stripped down" version still consists of the additional mixer, running a little bit of kick thump, not low bass, through some half-decent 3-way 15" woofer mains with the bass rig carrying the room, or having a little help from the mains to spread/project the bass guitar. Again, not chest-pounding bass, just audible bass guitar.

It works quite well when you're comfortable/familiar with your equipment and your band....but always improving on the gear.