1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carvin PB5 or Fender Precision V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aparker82, Dec 6, 2013.

Carvin PB5 or Fender USA Precision V

1. Carvin PB5

90 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Fender USA Precision V

84 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. aparker82

aparker82

So, thinking about the next bass to add to my stable(Currently a Ray35) and I am very intrigued by these two basses, before I had a 5 string my favorite 4 string I ever owned was a 4 string Fender P MIM Bass.

So I'm wanting to hear what the TB community thinks. Both look like amazing basses.

Resale on the Fender would probably be better if I ever sold it but after watching the sb5000 sell pretty well used I'm not so sure the PB5 won't do the same unlike other Carvins.

Looking forward to your input!

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I own two Fender American Standard P5s. I am very happy with both. However if I were in the market again for a new 5 string Precision style bass, the Carvin PB5 would be at the top of my list for consideration.

3. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Gold Supporting Member

You can buy a Fender or you can order a Carvin made just for you, just the way YOU want it.

4. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Fender makes great 4 strings. I voted for the Carvin.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

I vote Carvin. I Love Fenders but hate Fender 5 strings. I find their B strings to be super muddy. I have played the 5 string carvin Jazz and it is superb!

7. imandan

imandan

Depends a lot on if you like to resell your basses. Carvin has virtually no resale value. Just my humble opinion.

8. Toptube

Toptube

I'd start with the Carvin. If you don't like it, send it back within ten days!

9. aparker82

aparker82

Is there a restocking fee or shipping fee or any other hidden fee

10. aparker82

aparker82

What specifically would draw you to the Carvin over your Fenders?

11. BFunk

More personalized choices, woods, colors, fretboard, fret wire, multi-laminate necks and active/passive switching. I have not actually tried an PB5 or SB5000 for that matter. But there has been enough enthusiasm for the products here from people whose opinion I trust that I would definitely want to try one.

12. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon

The body shape isn't the same as Fender's and that bugs me. But I'm sure it's a great bass.

13. BFunk

Yeah, I think the body shape is pretty good, but not great IMO. I recently saw a pic of a PB5 with a beautiful custom pickguard. It looked awesome.

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

15. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    I recently picked one up, got a killer deal on it from G.C., I put flats on it and it does a great job. Sunburst with tort guard, American-string thru. Picked it up and it very much satisfied me after I played it thru an Ampeg SVT.

16. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Which bass are you talking about? ;)

17. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

Considered both. Bought a Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass V, and Christmas presents for half my family.

I guess that means I voted carrots?

18. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

Same here, no regrets.

19. Mtnman

Mtnman

I voted to go with the Fender. I'm with the others that say the Carvin really takes a hit as far as resale goes. Also, I've never really thought the Carvins offered anything special. I know you can get them custom built to your specs, but even then, I've never played one that thrilled me.

20. Toptube

Toptube

Just shipping.

---------------------------

On another note, I'm one of those people who thinks it's probably not the healthiest situation to buy a bass, if you are already thinking about selling it (potential resell value) before you even buy it.

and besides, most newer Carvins are selling for $700+ on here. That's pretty good resell value. The PB is also a brand new model. You wouldn't have issues selling it, if needed.

21. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Interesting thread, it would be even moreso if any of the voters had actually played both.

The P5s and VMP5s do not have muddy Bs but I agree earlier Fenders I have played or heard did. Fender got it right on these, even the $299 Squiers.