Carvin PM15A vs Peavey115D Active speakers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by irbass, Mar 8, 2014.

1. irbass

irbass

I need 2 active speakers for home party's.
    Personal use only, Not to work.
    MP3 and maybe 1 mic.
    maximum 150 people.

So i looked at Behringer and Alto profissional first because they are wireless, and it's a good idea to use with ipad or any Bluetooth device. But after reading a few reviews i decide to avoid headache.

So Carvin and Peavey it's on my list now. I had a peavey max bass amp, and it was built like a tank and i've never have any problem. I don't know much about Carvin.

Peavey $579 complete

Carvin $599 + $63 stands

any advice will be helpful.
    Tks guys.

Links below.
    Peavey

Carvin
  2. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    My band uses the peavey 115D...I was against them from the start as mains. They're big and bulky but not overly heavy. If you want something for strictly home use you don't need a 15 inch speaker for an iPod
  3. irbass

irbass

Thank's

I'm thinking about 15 inch to get more bass, for outside party, camping, things like that.
    But i understand the 15s it's not necessary.
    I think I'll go with carvin, made usa and some people are saying they are getting better.
  4. newwavefrank

newwavefrank

I own the carvins. I would NEVER personally use them for my mains. I do occasionallyuse them to fill in a little on big stages but I find they sound a little thin and hollow. Maybe all lightwieght plastic speakers are like that I can't say
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. irbass

irbass

I don't know much about powered speakers either.
    I'm learning about the good ones, but they are pricey, and for what i need, it doesn't worth to buy it.
    I found out peavey brand aren't the best quality, but they last longer and works really fine for the money. Some people has peavey stuff more than 20 years and still works.
    Thank's for your review.
  7. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I have the PM15's non powered and pm12's they are gig worthy - sound brilliant and are light. My comments/experience, others milage may vary - etc
  8. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

I have a total of 6 PM12's 2 passive 4 active. They were ok to start. The passives are unused and the 4 actives have been moved to monitor duty, having been replaced by K10's. They are decent sounding, but need to be Eqed. They have a nasal honk to them. I used them as mains for about a year. For house parties they will work out great.
  9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Check out the EV ZLX series. They are reasonably priced and sound great!
  10. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    OP do you have a budget in mind?
  11. irbass

irbass

Around $350 each!!! I need 2 active speakers
  12. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    Got ya...musicians friend has a bunch for that price. If this is only for home use, I doubt you'll need the 15's, I saw some Mackie 12's on there, I've also used Behringer Eurolives and they are nice as well. Peavey makes some 10's and 12's that should be affordable too
  13. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

look used - see whats available go from there.....if you are planning to re-sell it. I mean - why pay for the depreciation up front?

I like the carvins.....thats me. Had good luck with them so far. There are so many good products out there.
  14. irbass

irbass

The reviews about them are great!!!
    Increase my price, but looks like they sound really good.
    I"ll look @Frankjohnson advice and try to find these ones used.
    But they are good price brand new
  15. srxplayer

srxplayer

Speakers are one if those purchases that you definitely get what you pay for. The Peaveys or the Carvins will work within the budget you set. neither of them sound that good but with some ( or a lot of ) EQ they will do the job. I have never heard the EV's mentioned in actual use. Cheap speakers are what they are. They won't sound like a set of Nexo's or Meyers.

Keep in mind. No other subject is more opinionated and full of subjective statements then live sound. If you think opinions on basses, bass amps and bassists themselves get heated, go to pro sound forum.
  16. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I wouldn't say that they don't sound "that good". They are a good utility speaker.

They Stood up to Chris Duarte Fri/sat nights with LS1801 subs for bass/drums. definitely not "AMAZING" sounding - but easily adequate.
  17. modulusman

modulusman

If you were using those around where I live you wouldn't be getting any sound gigs.
  18. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    A lot of gear snobs up in Montana?
  19. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

I have a single ZLX-12P for rehearsal and I have been very impressed with it for the price. A pair would carry vocals for most small club gigs and my single one has worked great for a quiet outdoor gig.
  20. modulusman

modulusman

No just a lot of musicians who know what a good PA sounds like.:D
  21. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

Well - at least you don't have to worry about me stealing any of your work!:D