Carvin Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Jan 6, 2014.

1. pica

pica

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I concur.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Pretty bass. LB20
    http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/91-basses.html

It is really nice. But that price (IMO) is WAY too high for a Carvin from that era (or any really). They are nice but the resale is awful. That was basically an all passive LB70 IIRC. According to that museum page, the base price NEW was $519. And there is no collector value to these things that I know of. So, yeah, $700 is absurd.

But again it is a pretty thing.
  4. pica

pica

A bass this old do you think it would still play and sound like it did when it was new?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I agree with Mr. two fingers, LB20.

I've had my Carvin LB76 for almost 20 years and it still plays and sounds great.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

No way of knowing without holding it. It certainly could. But there's no way to tell for sure.

But it is currently selling for a couple hundred more than it did new. And for a hundred or so more you could get a brand new LB70.
  8. Puma

Puma Supporting Member

Definitely an LB20, used to own one. Think of a passive LB70, as TwoFingers states. 700 is too much for this bass. Can be had for between 400 - 500 easily

AB
  9. pica

pica

He lowered the price to $575.
  10. shwashwa

shwashwa

i bought pretty much the exact bass on ebay for 300. its nice, i actually recorded an album with it. if it has single coils in there it will sound sweet. only downside on mine is in the winter i need to max out the truss rod. in summer i have room.
  11. pica

pica

How can you tell if it has single coil pickups in it?
  12. Bob C

Bob C

You can ask the seller, or research it at carvinmuseum.com. In recent years, Carvin has coded their J style pickups with a little dot on the pickup.

BUT in 1991, I'm almost positive they only offered one pickup style, and it was a stacked humbucker. I believe they would be H50N's.

Not a terrible pickup. And you could always replace them, if you liked.

All that said, $575 is not an outrageous price, but it's no bargain either. Used Carvins aren't rare. I own two, by the way.
  13. shwashwa

shwashwa

yeah, standard pickup route sizes ( 2 bridge size if we're using fender as a reference) so you should be able to drop in anything you want. for me it would just be a question of the neck. but for 575 on that bass id pass just because ive seen ones with active electronics go for around that much. i own some active carvins, and i like the passive one better
  14. pica

pica

Yea, I like the bass but $575 is a little high.
  15. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Yes, that's an LB20, with whatever Carvin calls their J-style pickups. And to me, it looks pretty basic; so, while I never tell people what to buy, or what to spend, I agree that the opening bid for that one is more than a little optimistic. My LB20 is a lot newer (2004, I think) and much more optioned out. It would cost about $1800 to duplicate today; I got it off the 'bay 5 or 6 years ago, apparently never played, for $600. And I was the only bidder. Wonderful bass, though. Mine was ordered (I think, from looking at the build sheet) as a substitute for a lefty Rickenbacker, which were no longer available at the time. When you split both the pickups, the sound is suprisingly close to a Rick (and I have 2) with the vintage cap cut out. :smug: If I were you, I would wait; you're a righty - there will be a better one along soon.:D
  16. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

That's the main downside with buying a new Carvin. You better order your dream bass, cause the resale value blows.