1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carvin R600 Amp Head problems

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hmwallace, Jan 30, 2014.

EUB or fretless? Advantages and disadvantages.

1. EUB

17.5%
  2. Electric Fretless

82.5%
  1. hmwallace

hmwallace

Hi, first time posting here, but long time admirer of the site.

I have had a Carvin R600 Redline Stereo Bass amp head normally paired with a Carvin Reline Series 4x10 Cabinet 8ohms 600 W for about 3 or 4 years. The amp has always been reliable and pretty loud for most gigs until recently. The head seems to go in and out, as in it completely loses volume while the amp's power is still on. I have tried several different basses, cables, and cabinets to try to eliminate the problem and it has narrowed down to the amp head. There is no clip or crack on any of the inputs and I have tried all of the multiple inputs and speaker outputs. I also tried to set the amp all the way to normal setting rather than tube as to eliminate the possibility of the tube having gone bad. The amp is set to full range since I only use one cab, but I have tried setting it to bi-amp using two cabs and still had the same issue.

Any insight for my recent tragedy would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Harrison

2. bgressman82

bgressman82

my r1000 had the same problem recently. i took the top panel off and went in there with some compressed air, cleaned it out really good and checked all the connections and what not. problem went away.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Try "looping" an instrument cable from the effects send to effects return. If the problem goes away the internal contacts on the effects return jack have corroded (you can't see this by eye). This happens with any brand/model that has a serial effects loop especially if you never use the return jack.

I don't understand your poll?

4. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

What does the poll have anything to do with the question?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hmwallace

hmwallace

Thanks for replies, and I meant to post the poll separately from the thread, apologies. I tried looping the effects send to effects return as suggested, and the problem has not occurred in a few hours (very promising). So I assume if it is the corroded effects return jack I just need to replace it. Do you think this would be a possible job for someone with intermediate electric expertise, or should I take it to a professional?

Thanks again

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

You don't need to replace it. Just use a good electronic contact cleaner like DeoxIT or RidOx. Spray a plug and a very quick shot into the jack, work in and out several times. Wait at least 15 minutes before plugging the amp back into the wall and turning on. It is a micro corrosion called "fretting" that happens on low voltage/low current contacts.

8. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

9. MasterMonkeyMan

MasterMonkeyMan Supporting Member