Carvin SB4000 or G&L MJ-4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Low Key, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Low Key

Low Key

So I was seriously thinking about ordering a Carvin SB4000 or 4001 (with active EQ), and then Ed Friedland comes along and shows us a great looking/sounding G&L MJ-4. Why does he play with my mind like this!?! :)

I can't get my hands any of these instruments before I order so I am curious if anyone else has had a chance to compare the G&L to the Carvin directly or maybe played both at different times. (I have seen Ed's videos for both the G&L MJ-4 and the Carvin SB5000, which were great.) Thanks!

2. Low Key

Low Key

Oh, and I'm contemplating the humbucker Carvin jazz pickups. So this should be fairly apples-to-apples in terms of HB PU's and active preamp on both basses.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I haven't played those 2 specific models, but overall I prefer the feel and sound of G&L basses more than Carvin.

4. tnosam

tnosam

I can't speak for the Carvin bass but I test drove a G&L M2000 GTS today. And loved it! Both companies make high quality instruments so you can't go wrong with either choice. But my recommendation would be the G&L MJ-4. I've never heard a bad report about G&L instruments.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low Key

Low Key

Yeah, I have also owned a couple G&Ls - L2000 and L100. I foolishly decided to sell them when I wanted to move to 5-string basses. They were rock solid.

I need to sell a couple pedals and then will probably shoot for the G&L.

Thanks for the comments!

7. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

That MJ4 sounds great

I went Active passive with my Carvin PB4 build... I wanted that split coil tone but also some SC tone.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Carvin all the way. There's bang for your no-middle-man bucks that go right into the bass.

9. Jarrett

Jarrett

I'm a Carvin fan, but that particular G&L sounded nice in the video!

10. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

I had a Carvin sb4000 for a minute and I have had the l2000 for 2 years. They feel REALLy different to me. I thought that SB4000 would be my end all be all ultimate bass but I couldn't get with its feel or sound at all. However, it was built perfectly. So I have no advice !!!!!!