1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin SB4000 vs Fender American Standard Jazz for rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DannyG, Dec 1, 2012.

1. DannyG

DannyG

How do these two compare in a rock setting? Love to hear from folks who own both models especially.
  2. wvbass

wvbass

I have an SB5000 and 4 and 5 string jazz basses. Both are great in a rock setting, and can cut through or sit back as needed. Live, I prefer an active bass because I feel like I have a little more note definition to counteract the soundman's tendency to think a bass only has bass frequencies. For that reason, I'd give the edge to the Carvin, and I generally use an outboard pre with a jazz bass. YMMV.
  3. DannyG

DannyG

Thanks for your reply.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My only experience with Carvin wasn't very good. I had an LB75 for about a week and got rid of it. I couldn't get a good tone and it wouldn't cut through the mix very well. MIA Fender Standard Jazz is a great bass but I use my MIA Jazz Deluxe for most live situations because it seems to cut through better.
  5. Eggman

Eggman

My SB4000 is a great bass for just about all styles of music. Love the preamp in it - gives it lots of punch and definition. Much fuller sound than my 62 Jazz.

Same goes for my Icon 4
  6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I owned an SB4000. It's a great rendition of a Jazz bass IMO and a great value for the quality and workmanship.
  7. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Best jazz bass ever...when I need a Geddy sound, I use my SB4000...