1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carvin SB4000 vs Fender American Standard Jazz for rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DannyG, Dec 1, 2012.

1. DannyG

DannyG

Feb 23, 2002
    How do these two compare in a rock setting? Love to hear from folks who own both models especially.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    I have an SB5000 and 4 and 5 string jazz basses. Both are great in a rock setting, and can cut through or sit back as needed. Live, I prefer an active bass because I feel like I have a little more note definition to counteract the soundman's tendency to think a bass only has bass frequencies. For that reason, I'd give the edge to the Carvin, and I generally use an outboard pre with a jazz bass. YMMV.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. DannyG

DannyG

Feb 23, 2002
    Thanks for your reply.

5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My only experience with Carvin wasn't very good. I had an LB75 for about a week and got rid of it. I couldn't get a good tone and it wouldn't cut through the mix very well. MIA Fender Standard Jazz is a great bass but I use my MIA Jazz Deluxe for most live situations because it seems to cut through better.

6. Eggman

Eggman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    My SB4000 is a great bass for just about all styles of music. Love the preamp in it - gives it lots of punch and definition. Much fuller sound than my 62 Jazz.

Same goes for my Icon 4

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned an SB4000. It's a great rendition of a Jazz bass IMO and a great value for the quality and workmanship.

8. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    Best jazz bass ever...when I need a Geddy sound, I use my SB4000...