1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carvin SB4000 vs Fender American Standard Jazz for rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DannyG, Dec 1, 2012.

1. DannyG

DannyG

How do these two compare in a rock setting? Love to hear from folks who own both models especially.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I have an SB5000 and 4 and 5 string jazz basses. Both are great in a rock setting, and can cut through or sit back as needed. Live, I prefer an active bass because I feel like I have a little more note definition to counteract the soundman's tendency to think a bass only has bass frequencies. For that reason, I'd give the edge to the Carvin, and I generally use an outboard pre with a jazz bass. YMMV.

3. DannyG

DannyG

Thanks for your reply.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My only experience with Carvin wasn't very good. I had an LB75 for about a week and got rid of it. I couldn't get a good tone and it wouldn't cut through the mix very well. MIA Fender Standard Jazz is a great bass but I use my MIA Jazz Deluxe for most live situations because it seems to cut through better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eggman

Eggman

My SB4000 is a great bass for just about all styles of music. Love the preamp in it - gives it lots of punch and definition. Much fuller sound than my 62 Jazz.

Same goes for my Icon 4

7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I owned an SB4000. It's a great rendition of a Jazz bass IMO and a great value for the quality and workmanship.

8. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Best jazz bass ever...when I need a Geddy sound, I use my SB4000...