Carvin SB5000 vs Modulus Q5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by npbassman, Jan 25, 2014.

1. npbassman

npbassman

Ok, maybe the thread topic is a little misleading but here is the situation. I currently own a 1990 Q5 that is without a doubt, my bass soul mate. When I strap it on it becomes a part of me. The tone, neck profile, action, the sound - everything is just right.

Moving forward, I'm seriously considering picking up a second bass and the Carvin is in my sights. My question is (the soul mate thing aside), I have watched all the videos and I have a good idea of what the bass sounds like but how different will the SB5000 feel in my hands? How is the neck shape compared to the early Q's? My Q has the EMG bqc system. How will the Carvin electronics compare to that? How about the B, it sounds tight on the vids but how does it feel? Floppy?

I want to give the SB5000 a chance because I'm looking for a something different and this one is getting great reviews. I will say that I have owned an XB75 with the pro electronics (piezo, 18v, MM pickup) and I ended up flipping it about 4 months later because I kept going back to the Q. The XB was beautiful but I felt like it was very neutral sounding. I didn't like the electronics and I felt it lacked character and didn't have a distinctive tone. I'm hoping that those two basses are two different animals and I want to make sure I make the right decision.
  2. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    My opinion, go with a Zon. You'll get a woodier tone than your Mod, and still have the stability of a composite neck.

I was at the Zon booth at NAMM a few years back, and was really surprised how organic they sound.

Also, not having two full octaves bugs me!