1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin SB5000 vs Modulus Q5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by npbassman, Jan 25, 2014.

1. npbassman

npbassman

Ok, maybe the thread topic is a little misleading but here is the situation. I currently own a 1990 Q5 that is without a doubt, my bass soul mate. When I strap it on it becomes a part of me. The tone, neck profile, action, the sound - everything is just right.

Moving forward, I'm seriously considering picking up a second bass and the Carvin is in my sights. My question is (the soul mate thing aside), I have watched all the videos and I have a good idea of what the bass sounds like but how different will the SB5000 feel in my hands? How is the neck shape compared to the early Q's? My Q has the EMG bqc system. How will the Carvin electronics compare to that? How about the B, it sounds tight on the vids but how does it feel? Floppy?

I want to give the SB5000 a chance because I'm looking for a something different and this one is getting great reviews. I will say that I have owned an XB75 with the pro electronics (piezo, 18v, MM pickup) and I ended up flipping it about 4 months later because I kept going back to the Q. The XB was beautiful but I felt like it was very neutral sounding. I didn't like the electronics and I felt it lacked character and didn't have a distinctive tone. I'm hoping that those two basses are two different animals and I want to make sure I make the right decision.
  2. songwriter21

songwriter21 Supporting Member

My opinion, go with a Zon. You'll get a woodier tone than your Mod, and still have the stability of a composite neck.

I was at the Zon booth at NAMM a few years back, and was really surprised how organic they sound.

Also, not having two full octaves bugs me!