1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carvin wait and see

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RitchS, Oct 1, 2012.

1. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

So here's a thread that's gonna be a daily diary for me dealing with Carvin service. Here's the skinny.

About two years ago I bought a Carvin BX1500. I thought it sounded great and it had versatility for days. I can thump an 8x10 with the amp in bridge mode with 1500w, I can run a 4x10 at 750w, I can mix cabs and use both amps and the crossover.

Well, it started farting out and clipping about a month ago. I tried every possible combination to isolate the issue. It is the amp. Now to two weeks ago. I sent it to Carvin for repairs. I received it back last week, tried it in my garage for 15-20 minutes and it seemed fine. I took it to a gig Friday and after three songs it started doing the same thing.
    I just got off the phone with Carvin to see what they're gonna do about it. So far, so good. They're sending a per paid uPS label to send it back to them.

Update coming soon.
  2. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

I have faith in Carvin
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Subscribed. I love my Carvin basses, but have never had to deal with Carvin's customer service. I've heard some good things and some bad things. I'm interested to see how this works out.

We're paying attention, Carvin!
  4. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I want to have faith too. This amp isn't old enough to just stop working properly. It's been in a rack it's whole life and has never been turned up past 4! I will sing their praises from the rooftop if they make it right. The flames will come if not.
  5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

They’ve been good to me. I have the BX1200, which is the old heavy, solid state version of your head. No problems at all. Sorry to hear your having problems. I noticed you've run yours in different modes with different cab combinations. Are you making sure to flip that tiny little BRIDGE button on the back of the head? I think they made it difficult to flip on purpose!
  6. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Are there any other BX1500, or any Carvin D class amp owners out there having issues? It can't be just me.
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

There's been multiple revisions to the BX500. Not sure about the BX1500 but they share many of the same guts, I'm sure.
  8. millsbass5

millsbass5

Have some faith. They ain't been in the game this long for nothin'. BTW, awesome beard!!
  9. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I'm trying. Thanks! I feel it makes my bowl cut "pop"!
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

There's a very good chance the ribbon cable connection needs cleaning. Do a search and you'll see its a common problem with that amp.
  11. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I was aware of that malady and had bought a can of non-lubricating contact cleaner. It no worky. I told the service dept about that and they replaced the ribbon cable.
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

What do expect Carvin to do for you with an out of warranty product?
  13. ::::BASSIST::::

After hearing all these Carvin problems I'm really hesitant to buy another Carvin product. I currently own a power amp by them - the HD1500 and I am hoping that doesn't give me grief.

Ugh.
  14. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

I am on my second BX1500. The first one had a bad buzz coming through the DI, pre or post. Still under warranty, I sent it back. Few weeks later, I got an email from Carvin stating that the amp was defective, and that they were sending me a new one. I realize that this is'nt quite the same as your situation, and that the one year warranty with Carvin kinda sucks, but, there you have it - they sent me a new amp. Obviously, they did'nt get yours fixed the first time, so give them a chance to make it right, while keeping in mind that it IS out of warranty.
  15. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Don't worry too much. I've had my Carvin ProBass 500 Head for 21 years now without a problem.
  16. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Spraying th ribbon cable connectors will do no good unless you pull the connection apart and spray the actual contacts. My BX1500 did the same thing and I fixed it with what I had in my garage.

DO IT!
  17. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

I don't think Carvin has any more problems than GK or Ampeg, for example, with new models. Remember the fiasco with the early GK MB 500 models, and recently with the Ampeg PF350-500 heads ? Things get kind of blown out of proportion here on TalkBass, when new stuff goes wrong.
  18. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I expect them to sell a product that costs about $600 to last more than 2 1/2 years and to correctly do the repairs they said they did and that I paid for.

I understand things break down. Even when taken very good care of. It happens, and if I had bought this thing second hand, I'd consider it a life lesson.

But, like I said, it was a fairly expensive piece of gear. I paid for repairs AND shipping there. For the lack of repairs it would've been cheaper to just mail them $110 cash.
  19. ::::BASSIST::::

Perhaps you are correct. However, that mb500 issue was solved. Carvin seems to have problems with both the bx500 and bx1500 and I would hope that Carvin would be trying to get these issues solved. Yet it seems like they are not doing anything except addressing the broken amps that are sent back to them rather than fixing the problem in the first place.
  20. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I own a Carvin Bass, BX600 & BX500, Carvin bass cabs,Carvin wireless, Carvin PA and Carvin speakers for mains.....not a problem and have had a very good wiorking relationship w/Carvin over the past 20 years. I'm sure your issue will be resolved to your satisfaction!