1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Case buying advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SecondString, Jan 12, 2013.

1. SecondString

SecondString

After trying out and returning a couple of basses, I finally landed on my first bass guitar purchase this week -- a 5-string Warwick Corvette. Before I get it set up, I want to get a hardshell case for it. Any advice?

I am going to take it down to my Guitar Center today and try it out with what they have in stock. It looks like the cases they have in my local store range from $110 to $150. I also saw a RockCase by Warwick "universal bass case" at American Musical Supply for $80. This bass + case won't be traveling a whole lot, but I do want a hardshell case for when I take it for set ups / repairs / etc. For some reason I have never trusted gig bags.

Should I go the economy route and try out ordering one of the $80 cases from AMS? I like that is shares the Warwick name, and I like the price. Ideally a molded case would be the best, but I can't find any anywhere for the RockBass body style.

2. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

SKB makes great road cases in a variety of styles. With my Warwick thumb I had to use two small pieces of foam to cushion the body due to the relatively small size of the bass. Easy fix.

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Apparently, Warwick will reveal new cases at this year's NAMM show.

4. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

I have a Warwick flight case that I found on cl. Came with pads that fit the contours of my thumb/vette. Also have a tkl universal case that is really well constructed. I use towels to keep the wicks in place when I use it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

Warwick currently makes a couple of flight 'type' cases in the $160 and $220 range. the lower priced one is exposed foam interior w/a generic cutout. The nicer (more expensive) model is black crushed velvet lined w/a different neck support and includes 2 movable, moldable velvet pillows for the body area that holds the bass in place pretty decent. The exterior and hardware is the same on both case.

I bought the nicer one for my Dolphin but it fits my $$ 4 and 5 pretty good too.

7. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

I really love my gig bag as compared to my hard cases. If you're going to leave the bass out in a wall/floor stand at home/studio for easy access and otherwise only take it out for set up...then all those cases just simply take up space and suck up cash. Darn things are heavy too.

8. grenadilla

grenadilla

My Warwick Corvette 4string fits in a Musicians Friend hardshell case for Fenders. I got the tweed version for $70.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

A high end gig bag works better than a hard case for me.
    Too bad Warwick does not offer a case for that model.
    Generic cases always have a poor fit IMHO.

10. klejst

klejst

I say whatever you decide brand wise to go hard shell case. Sure it may be heavier and more bulky, however you will appreciate that when your bass goes for a little accidental ride down some stairs or flops out onto the pavement. Soft shell cases are nice too, however just don't generally have the durability.