Case Repair Help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by q5bass, Feb 9, 2014.

1. q5bass

q5bass

I need some advice on the best adhesive to use to repair the case for my bass. The case is a hard plastic Modulus case and has a crack in it. Can I use superglue or is there something else that's recommended?

2. pflash4001

pflash4001

How bad is the crack? Superglue won't do this kind of job. Possibly some kind of epoxy. If it's truly compromised get a new case. If the case bit it and your bass is safe, then if did it's job...absorbing the damage that would have hit your bass. Protect your instrument.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I just saw something at Home Depot today, that was some kind of fiberglass mesh impregnated with adhesive. I've also done repairs by combining JB Weld with a few layers of fiberglass drywall tape.

4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

If You can confirm (from Modulus) that the case is made out of ABS or another weldable plastic, weld it.

I have welded several with great success.
    Some using a hot air welder, some with just a soldering iron if the innards are hard to remove.
    The beotch of it is to find a suitable filler material, but an old trashed case or an ABS dashboard or a bumper will provide a lifetime of that.
    Auto body shops carry ABS rod for welding car parts as well if there's one near You.

IME no adhesive will work well, and short of laminating GF or CF patch, the gluing surface is too small anyway.
    Any adhesive remrants on the surfaces will greatly reduce the weldability as well ;).

Regards
    Sam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Agreed. I'd only use adhesive with a patch, to obtain sufficient gluing surface.

7. q5bass

q5bass

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get a picture posted tonight. This may help with determining the repair options.

Unfortunately, Modulus went into Chapter 7 bankruptcy and is no more. Otherwise, I would just call them and ask.:(

8. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I would plastic weld it.
    A lot of sport motorcycle shops have them. They use them to repair busted up plastic body parts after a crash. I have used one a few times and they work great.
    It is the same as oxy acetylene welding but the torch blows a small stream of hot air that you can regulate and you use a plastic filler rod. The rods come in every color imaginable.
    Do a search for plastic welding in your area.

9. q5bass

q5bass

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392156731.859498.jpg

As you can see, the crack is just below the latch.

I'll definitely check out the welding option.

Thanks!

10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That would be a easy fix.
    Google it for your area and you should come up with a few.

11. StevieMac

StevieMac

I repaired a large crack in a music man molded case using ABS adhesive and fibreglass matting. It worked great and you had to look pretty closely to even see the crack afterwards.

12. q5bass

q5bass

StevieMac,
    Would you send me a PM with specifics on how you did it?

Thanks!

13. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    I bought a product from the Automotive store...it worked great...it is used for plastics...it is specifically designed for snowmobile shrouds and other , the like, front end parts...its flexible, super strong , it can be sanded and painted...the name of the product escapes me right now...I will try to follow up!~

14. q5bass

q5bass

Thanks, RandyT! Any info would be appreciated.