1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Case that comes with 2013 Fender American Standard Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeffkew, Dec 9, 2013.

1. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Call Fender and ask. Stuff changes there constantly and "without notice," as the disclaimers state. Could be shipping with the traditional cases now.

Hate the SKB case, myself.
  3. jeffkew

What don't you like about the skb case?
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

A number of things, but primarily the brainless, nickle-nursing lack of a flap over the storage compartment, violating a few hundred years of previous practice. It's incredibly stupid.

Unless you open the case up flat, you dump everything out on the bass, which I did the first time I opened mine.
  5. wvbass

wvbass

6. jeffkew

7. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Supposedly Fender and SKB had a "falling out" sometime during the 2013 production run. So the early model 2013s come with an SKB case and the ones produced later come with a traditional Fender case. This is not just exclusive to the Ps; all American Standard instruments fell victim to this. And this is all according to a couple gentlemen that work at Sweetwater, so I don't know if that does/ does not lend credibility to that statement for you, but there you have it.

Personally, I like the SKB cases better. The latches on the traditional cases aren't always attached well and occasionally break easily.
  8. Bongolation

Bongolation

A valuable, time-saving tip: Never pay the slightest attention to FMIC site specs on anything. It's full of errors and they're NEVER corrected.
  9. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

IMO, you lucked out getting the G&G.
  10. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Hey Jeff
    I just bought a new American Standard Precision at Guitar Center when they had their 'Black Friday' sale (a week ago) and when they got the case out I quesioned the heck out of them.
    I also like the SKB that came with another bass I have. They had no explanation and just said "that's what it came with".

I honestly was dissapointed. I rarely buy anything new and expected the SKB. I was thinking of posting here about it.
    The case it comes with is nice, don't get me wrong. It has a chrome-like "Fender" on it and all but I wanted the SKB also.

I once dropped the SKB down 15 step stairwell and the bass inside was not affected. I liked that about the SKB the most!
    My point here is I think the case you got was what came with the bass.
    -Joe
  11. jeffkew

Thanks everyone for the info. I suppose this is probably the correct case then. I also would have liked the skb, though, too.
  12. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    I got the stadard p-5 2013 and I got the SKB.
  13. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I bought a used American 60th Anniversary P this past week without a case. I was going to ask Santa for one of the SKBs (like my other one has...) Now Santa is bringing me a tweed G & G instead.
  14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

+1. I much prefer the G&Gs. The SKBs are nice, but too bulky IMO. Plus, as Bongolation said, I like having the "closed" accessory compartment. Not a big deal to me, but that's my preference.
  15. jeffkew

Just to be clear this Fender G&G style case doesn't have a closed accessory compartment. It is open just like on the skb.
  16. P Town

P Town Guest

There is a post around here where someone reported that they drove over a Fender bass in it's SKB ATA style case with a full size pickup truck, and the bass was not damaged.

After buying two new Fenders that came with that type of case, I liked them so much, that I bought a used one for another bass that had come in a cheap Road Runner case, and one for my Gibson SG guitar, which only comes with a cheap gig bag.
  17. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

The G&G cases have the look for a classic Fender and also age in a neat manner, but after 3 years of gigging with my G&G case, the handle looks like it's about to fall off, one of the latches is busted, and another one looks like it's about to go. I've got two SKBs at home that I think could take an explosion and still come out on top. The only reason I haven't gone full SKB is that they are built slightly wider and we've got the band van/gear Tetris down to a science.
  18. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Supporting Member

UPDATE!!! The Driver of Said Pickup Truck was, however, sent to a Mental Institution and after a Two Year Stint of Observation, Daily Meds and Electric Shock Treatment was Reunited with his Beloved Drum kit.

Attached Files:

19. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Correct. I thought at least there would be a closed compartment in the 'new' type case.
    Again,IMO, the SKB rules. The bigger size is the only drag.
  20. Robus

Robus

Have bought two American Standards this year, I have to say the SKB cases are a huge improvement. It's big, but it looks and feels rugged.