Cases for detachable neck basses

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Detachabass, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Detachabass

Detachabass

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to find out what cases for detachable neck basses exist out there, and could use some help.

I know about Casextreme ($1497), Jean Auray's Nanoo (about $2845), and David Gage's case ($3995).

Any other suggestions?

(I placed this thread in the "basses" forum, as this seems to be the place where these cases are being discussed.)

Thanks!

2. Tejano Bass

Tejano Bass

3. Detachabass

Detachabass

Thanks, but I was wondering about cases. I already have the bass :)

4. longfinger

longfinger

Here's one more...

Cases

37lbs empty seems heavy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Detachabass

Detachabass

Yes, maybe I should make list by weight and price.

7. Schoolhouse

Schoolhouse Thomas Andres- Bass Makers

One of my clients uses the Nanoo case. Very well made. The neck case is slightly larger than the similar Gage case. Both are very good. Concord also makes a RN bass trunk that will fit most 3/4 size basses.
    Tom

8. Detachabass

Detachabass

Thanks! Can't seem to find the Concord one, do you have a link?

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

10. longfinger

longfinger

Since you have a removable neck, really all you need is a rectangular box of the right size, with the right padding inside, made strong. Fancy moldings that look like a DB body are not necessary and are needlessly expensive. I'm quite surprised at the very high prices for these cases listed above. These things could be way more affordable.
    For example, that same Caseextreme company makes a box for flat panel TV's here for $400.
    Casextreme.com
    All they have to do is make the box in a different size and adjust the padding. An extra $100 of cost? But their case for double bass is fancy shaped and costs $1500. Ugh.

Investigate in empty rectangular boxes of the right dimensions that are not marketed for double bass. Get quotes. Look at prices for packing foam. This should be way more affordable.

11. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

12. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

I'm still searching to find the right case for the body of my bass without having to sell the whole bass to afford it. I usually carry the neck in a separate case. If it is regional and will be in the back of the car, I just put it in a P-bass slab style gig bag. For longer journeys and when I travel across country, the Pelican Case company makes one that is the perfect size and originally designed for a shotgun with a street price of approx. $175. Waterproof, injection molded abs plastic that is military spec, US made, and almost completely bombproof. I bought the one with the uncut foam and then fit it to my bass neck.

j.

13. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

I'm looking into a converting a ply bass into a removable neck soon, and have been looking at these cases. They all seem very expensive, with the Casextreme ($1197) being the best "cheap" option: http://www.casextreme.com/prod_details.php?pid=41

Are there really no better options? Everything else is at least $2000, and that's just insane.

14. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Oh, and just to clarify, this is what I found in my research:

Casextreme: $1200 (or a few hundred more for a nicer model)
    Lemur: $2000
    Concord: $2300
    Nanoo: $2800
    Tuff-Lite: $3500
    Gage: $4000

I plan on calling my pals at Upton next week and finding out what they charge for their case, but in the meantime, please weigh in with prices/weights/experiences!

15. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

There's also the Thule Round-Trip Bike Case for $429. The interior will need customizing.

16. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Now THAT looks like an option! I'm trying to find the weight somewhere. The size looks pretty perfect, with space an inch or so of padding on every side of the instrument. Have you worked with these in the past Arnold?

17. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

I have not, but a colleague of mine has.

18. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

If you don't mind, could you PM me their email so I could see how they would convert such a thing?

19. Brian K

Brian K

I have nothing but positive reports for the Gage case. Other than the string that holds the lid open at a 100 degree angle breaking, it has shown no signs of wear, and the case and all the hardware seem extremely well made, and make me feel confident in the protection of my bass.

In my experience, mostly with Air Canada, they often waive the oversize fee, especially since they've started charging a fee for every bag, but they rarely waive the overweight fee, likely because of fuel costs, and the effect of weight on the airline's bottom line.

I know the Gage case is crazy expensive, but I love mine because I can fit my standard Mooridian bag in the body case with the bass, for easy transportation once the bass is re-assembled, and because the case, bass body and bag still weigh <50lbs, meaning it's cheaper to check the body and neck as separate pieces on most airlines.

I would have bought the Nannoo instead at the time, but one wasn't available quickly enough for what I needed. I've seen the Lemur case, it's really well thought out. I tried to buy one but they weren't confident in sizing it without the bass in hand, and I didn't want to ship the bass to California, so I went with the Gage.