Caster Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ckoonz, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ckoonz

ckoonz

Cheers to all,
    I've been lugging around my Hartke 410xl and 115xl for years now... since new in the 90's! My back has decided enough is enough. Does anyone have any suggestions for putting casters on at least the 115? I know it's probably a long shot but I don't want to effect the sound of the amp by doing something stupid and ruining my trusty cabs that have been with me longer than most of my friends. The band I'm playing in is gigging two to three times a month or more and it's just wearing me down. I don't want to get the 112 hydrives quite yet. Larry saved me once before when my old HA5000 went out and I figure this is the best place to ask for some sound advice.

BTW, I love the LH1000 head. Thanks Larry for hooking me up when my old head died.

Cheers,
    Christian
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just go to the hardware store and get four 3" swivel casters. You'll need to drill screw holes on the bottom, but that's easy enough if you have a drill. It'll be up slightly higher than it was, but that doesn't affect the sound though it will put highs and mids just a little bit closer to the top of your head.
  3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

+1 to the 3" castors. If you use 4 swivel castors , the cab might tend to rotate when you are rolling it. No big deal to me but if you want it to roll in a straight line you might want to use 2 swivel and 2 fixed castors. I mounted my castors using 5/16 by 1 1/4" long lag bolts. Most cabs use about 3/4 inch wood and if you use longer lag bolts , the ends will stick in to the cab farther and possibly hit the wiring in the cab. (Not likely but a possibility.)Pre drill the holes using a 1/4" drill bit.Take some electrical or masking tape and wrap it several times around the drill bit 1 1/4" from the end of the bit. This will help keep the bit from going too far into the cabinet and getting tangled up in the insulation or the wiring in the cab. I have used this method on every cab I have and have never had a problem . 3" castors will be strong enough for you to put a bunch of stuff on top of the cab when you are moving it (amp head or another cab) saving you a trip or two.
  4. Jack

Jack

You could look at one of those folding hand carts or build a board with casters on it if you didn't want to drill into the cabinet. Not quite as convenient but the cabs remain original.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

+1 to 3" casters. I've used a Mesa 212 and 115 stack forever. I use the casters on the 115 and it becomes the cart for the 212.

There is absolutely no effect from the casters on sound - Those more technically expert than I seem to agree that coupling with the floor is not lost till the cab is elevated much more than 3". Either way - I've removed the casters (Mesa casters are removable) and noticed no difference in sound.

On the rare occasion where the floor is slanted or uneven, it becomes important to make sure the wheels don't scoot. On the other hand, it's nice to be able to nudge my whole rig in and out of tight spaces or move over to make room for other equipments. Vive les casters! :hyper:
  7. ejmy

ejmy

I was going to say that a long, long time ago I had a GBX bass amp with a 4X10 cab that had a factory dolly (4 casters on a plywood) that held in place with 2 velcro strips. Being removable was great because you could use it for the rest of the equipement the band needed to move. And you don't compromise the integrity of the cab.
    TheRealKong likes this.
  8. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    These cunning devices have been used to great effect by the PA rental company I used to work for:
    [​IMG]
    :bassist:
    okcrum likes this.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

A dolly or cart is a good option. I use them both at times but they take up some room.

Another option is caster plates like these http://www.reliablehardware.com/largeremovablecasterplate.aspx
    They sell large plates and small ones, depending on the size of the caster. Mesa uses a similar system. Mesa sells their casters and plates on their web site if you want to check them out.

They simply require screws to mount, no drilling holes in the cab like some casters (duncan) require. An advantage of these is that you can easily remove the casters at the gig if you want. The rubber feet on the cab extend past the plates so they don't interfere with the cab on the floor.
  10. ckoonz

ckoonz

See, this is why I ask questions on here when I have them... Always a variety of great answers. Thanks to all for the responses.

I think I might go with making my own little cart and put velcro on there. That is a really good idea. I remember seeing a pull handle at Harbor freight that attaches to a dolly. Heck, I could use one of those dolly's and modify it to work.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-39757.html
    Even not on sale, this is cheaper than the wheels alone and the swivel handle would work too. $16.99 for a 30"x18" cart and $7.99 for the handle. A couple pieces of 3"velcro and voila! Looks like I have a project to do today! My Cab is 24"x18" so I can just trim down the length.

Thanks again everyone.
  11. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

Through experience I've learned that 4" wheels actually roll nicely over any surface and anything smaller is a disappointment.
  12. shoot-r

shoot-r

+1 with Jimmy.

My 3" casters came from a Rural King farm supply store.

$2.49 each.......
  13. chadds

chadds

Get a cart.
  14. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    150 lb. capacity folding hand trucks at Home Depot or Wally World for about $27.
  15. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Resurrecting an older thread.....

So since you're using lag bolts I take it you're removing the speaker(s) to get access to the inside of the cab?
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

Removeable pop out casters. A few dollars more but worth it.

The other option is one of the hand trucks that fold. Our drummer has one that can be used as a hand cart or four wheel flat cart. Hello music has them on sale fairly often.
  17. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

No speaker removal required for lags. They are like big wood screws with bolt heads on one end. If I was using regular bolts with nuts and washers , then I would need to remove speakers.