1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Caster wheels act as anti-vibration mounts?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DannyBob, Nov 30, 2013.

1. DannyBob

DannyBob

As the title suggests, do they?

I couldn't really find anything that gave a straight to the point answer, and whenever my band practices, these is always complaints about the bass vibrating too much and annoying other people. I was looking at getting the Fender Rumble 350 Combo at some point as a 350w rehearsal amp, and that has caster wheels on the bottom. Would it help?

Thanks

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    There could be a lot of reasons for the vibration including volume, boosting the lows on your eq, the materials in the room, etc. For a while, my band rehearsed at a place where we constantly heard annoying vibrations. It turned out to be the tiles in the suspended ceiling.

You could try getting something with casters so the cab isn't sitting on the floor or maybe try putting your cab on something other than the floor.

3. DannyBob

DannyBob

Thanks, and yeah, we've tried putting up thick velvet curtains to try and absorb some of the sound, but good to know that the casters may help. Thanks

4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    How would casters help unless the wheels are made out of soft rubber?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Believe me from many years of experience - casters will not make a difference. Some things are just gonna rattle. It's if they fall off or down is the real issue. Even that happens from time to time. :)

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Are you saying that the bass cab is vibrating and your band mates are complaining about a buzzing or are you saying that other people in the building are complaining about things vibrating or the volume level?

If it is your band mates, a thick piece of carpet or foam (gramma isolation pad) under the cab will help.

8. DannyBob

DannyBob

Other people are complaining about the vibrations. The reason I thought that the casters may have helped was because I've heard a 'floating amp' doesn't vibrate other objects as much

9. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Nope, floating the amp in mid-air (if there was some sort of magical sky hook that could levitate the amp without the amp touching anything) wouldn't help as far as other objects vibrating. It's the low frequency bass notes through the air that are causing other objects to vibrate sympathetically. When I play in my house, the dishes rattle, sometimes the sheetrock even rattles.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I would try the carpet or foam then and see if it helps decouple the cab from the floor if it is rattling things in other rooms. Bass frequencies have a way of carrying in a building and they can make things vibrate (resonate) and seem even louder. Not much you can do for that other than to turning down the volume level.

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Floating the amp will only keep the floor from vibrating, but will not help the sound itself vibrating stuff in the room. Try some different EQ just for practice, and perhaps move the amp around a little in the room and see if that makes a difference.

12. russpurdy

russpurdy

Lifting the cab off the floor may help with the transfer of the physical vibrations that the cab is putting out affecting things around it. I have played through a cab that was up on a shipping pallet made of softer springy wood and it made a small difference. The actual sound waves vibrating things won't change unless you either change your tone or turn down. Make sure you check other instruments as well as a loud guitar amp or kick drum (especially through a PA) can cause a significant amount of vibration as well. I've actually had more erratic vibrations that were the result of a cranked 5150 guitar amp than from bass. I do, however, play with more low mids than earth rumbling lows.

13. russpurdy

russpurdy

Also, if the bass amp happens to be in or near a corner get it out of there.

14. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

My 8x10 knocked off my buddies smoke detector last night. It happens.

15. Linnin

Linnin

16. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

A couple of years ago, I was thumpin' pretty good on a bass amp that was sitting within a foot of a wall. I'm sittin' down playing along, then - boom - something banged and I was struck in the head. A pretty good blow. I then realized that I had vibrated a wall clock off of its mounting and it had fallen on my head. That clock was mounted a good 7-8 feet up the wall. I then had to find the Advil. Most drummers will mute the snare drum if the bass is playing solo. Those snares with get going pretty good. Bass does rattle and vibrate things. If it doesn't, you're either not playing loud enough or your EQ needs the bass adjusted upward. :cool: