Cat peed on upright case, what do

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Bridgefinger, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Bridgefinger

Bridgefinger

A cat peed on my thick padded upright bass case, and it wreaks of that horrible smell. What's the best way to clean this case of the odor? I've searched around but all the cleaning results are for little guitar bags.
  2. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

That means he loves you. Be respectful and reciprocate by peeing on his toys.

LOL

That's never happened to me, although I have a very loving cat, but baking soda is good for that kind of stuff.
  3. bass81800

bass81800

You might want to make a trip to your local Petsmart or PetCo and see what products they can offer specifically for this problem.
  4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Previously tcl Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    I haven't suffered this specific problem, but as the owner of a pair of cats, more than one generation of them, I've had my hassle with cat pee. I had one cat that liked to punish me by peeing on my electric stove. You haven't lived until you've smelled heated cat pee in the dead of a cold winter!
    I found cleaning things very thoroughly with lots of water helped. I think the products the sell at the pet store probably do a slightly better job than tons of water, baking soda and vinegar.
    If I suffered your fate, I'd buy a gallon or so of the stuff from the pet store and totally saturate my bag with it, then rinse it with a hose for a long while. Let it dry in the sun and then get my wife to smell it because she has a better sense of smell than I, and you know that stuff builds up over time. Best of luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jsn

Jsn

I suggest a product like this.

Be prepared to use the entire bottle. Take your time, and make multiple sprayings. Give the enzymes time to work. Leaving it outdoors to air is also a good idea (but not overnight, because then the outdoor cats will pee on it!).
  7. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

We had a cat growing up that had a fondness for peeing in my dad's hockey bag. Hockey gear already smells pretty ripe at the best of times, but cat pee definitely doesn't help.

I agree with the go to the pet store suggestion. Not only do they have various products designed specifically to deal with this, but the people that work there have heard "my cat peed on ___, how do I clean it and get rid of the smell?" probably as many or more times as you have heard "maybe you should have played the flute" comments.

You will possibly need to rinse and repeat a few times. If you can dry it outside in the sun, (I'm not sure how sunny or warm it is where you are right now) that often helps. Don't try to put the bag in a dryer, even the giant ones at the laundromat, as it will ruin the padding in the case. If it's possible, when your bass isn't in the bag, try to keep it in a closet or somewhere that the cat can't get to it. Bass bags tend to be cat magnets at the best of times, and you don't want to have to go through this again.
  8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Yeah, go to the pet store and buy stuff to specifically break down the pee. Talk to them about how to deal with it. Basically you will need to soak it with the spray and blot the crap out of it and keeping doing it about a dozen times til the smell isn't noticable. I've had to deal with a massage amount of cat pee on a futon and this was the only way to do it.

As for repeat instances, your cat will keep doing that as long as there's something making them unhappy about it. Dirty litter box, illness, or being mad at you for a change in the environment will keep them doing this kind of thing. Most of the time when my cat peed outside the literbox was due to it being dirty and smelly. If you're lazy, they'll make you pay for it.
  9. Frozen J

Frozen J

Kill the cat.
  10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    :D
  11. gnergaard

gnergaard Supporting Member

Yeah. Been there. It's terrible.
    Not sure if others already mentioned this, but Nature's Miracle is an enzyme based product I've used beofre that works OK. But another bump for getting the bag outside and drying it in sunlight. That is really what worked for my old moradian case.
  12. Rob22315

Rob22315

Drying it will help but the smell will come back in humid weather if you don't get the pee out of the fabric and padding.. I recommend lots of flushing with water - can you remove the padding and get it into a washing machine? A wet/dry vac will help to flood/vacuum the padding with a rinsing action. After that, use the odor killing chemicals. Lastly, put it out in the sun to thoroughly dry it.
  13. Handyman

Handyman

I've had good luck with Nature's Miracle, too. It may not be perfect, but it works much better than any normal household cleaning product that you're likely to have sitting around.

Selling the cat is also a great way to prevent a reoccurrence.
  14. BaddaBING

BaddaBING Supporting Member

Try Odorz Out. Look for it on line. Its a powder / granular product. Worked well on a human pee situation. They tout it for pet issus too!
  15. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

White vinegar.
  16. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    +1. You can always buy some "miracle" product at an inflated price, when it's probably just a household chemical in a fancy container. Take your bag to a laundromat which has a big enough machine to hold it. Dump a half gallon of white vinegar in with the detergent, run the wash cycle. Problem solved. Do it early on a warm sunny day so that you can air dry it. I wouldn't put my Moo in a dryer:)
  17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Google it!
    Don't leave your gig bag on the floor any more.
  18. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    You obviously don't know cats. If your cat has ever snuggled in your bass bag (which it will have even if you put it on a high shelf), then when you crash at a friend's place, his cats will pick up on the scent and go to work establishing their territory. Biologists have told me that cats have special glands which can make up a particularly foul stink for bass bags. The only prevention is to put the bass in a closet or garage when visiting a fellow cat owner. Somewhere inaccessible to the host cats.
  19. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

I will also give a vote for Nature's Miracle. It's been years since I had an animals with those issues. But, when I did, I tried all the household cleaners, solvents and even vinegar. Some worked better than others. but, Natures Miracle tended to be the one that worked the best. If you have OxyClean already, you may want to give that a try. Similar principle to Natures Miracle but I have never tried it
  20. Who da Ville

Who da Ville

Her #$%*! cat peed on my upright several months ago. It also hit the bass bag. I soaked the bag in cold soapy water a couple of times (periodically working it by hand), & sprayed it with the no odor products mentioned by others. No smell now, but I damaged the seams when hanging the wet bag to dry. My recommendation is to lay the bag out to dry, rather than hanging.

The only reason that cat's still alive is because I like being married more than I hate the cat.

I installed a door latch that holds the door open about 2", so heat can get into the room, but the cats can't.
  21. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Haha! I had a dog many years ago that was a character. I disciplined him one morning for something I can't remember and when I came back in the afternoon he had peed very deliberately on one of my electric basses I had left out propped up against a bed. Boy was I mad. He knew it because he ran and hid the moment I got home. Then later on I woke up in the middle of the night to him just sitting there staring at me. Creepy little bastard I miss him.

But you are talking about a cat. The only solution is death.

[​IMG]