1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cat problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bolophonic, Jan 2, 2013.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

I have had a cat for the last 10 years. She is a straight-up alley cat that an ex-girlfriend rescued and then left here. The cat is pretty wild and I have had to tolerate a lot of bizarre behavior. She is moody, crotchety, hates people, but she is basically non-aggressive and keeps to herself. I personally do not like anything about this cat. I have kept the cat fed and sheltered out of kindness and a sort of low-level martyrdom. Her only charm is her intense existentialist spirit. I am now married with a baby and the cat has become more of a nuisance than ever.

The cat has lately taken to sleeping on the dining room table and climbing all over the kitchen counters, which is evidenced by piles of dirt and hair everywhere... apparently her grooming has gone down the tubes. She used to live primarily outside and nested in the basement, but now she is venturing upstairs and tracking a mess with her. I discussed this with the vet at her last visit and the vet did not sound optimistic about the future of this cat.

So we were gone for 10 days over Christmas and a neighbor was looking after her. According to him, she did not leave the sofa the entire time. There was plenty of hair and dirt to support that claim. Unfortunately, the litter box in the basement was completely unused when we returned a couple of days ago. I did a little investigating and found a piece of plastic vapor barrier in the narrow part of the crawl space with about a gallon of urine sloshing around on it, leading me to conclude that it is finally time for this cat to have its ticket punched. She had a reprieve over the New Year holiday, but I am going to have to make an appointment today.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Does it go out a lot?
    A misuse of litter box is hardly a reason to dispose of a cat. Now if you don't like this company there is obviously no reason to keep it with you.
  3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

This might offend someone, and I apologize in advance, but you can legally and ethically get rid of the animal. It happens thousands and thousands of times every year. Think about your options and what you want and make a decision.

My parents got rid of their cat shortly after I was born. Without going into details, I believe it was the right thing to do.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

She used to be outdoors ~75% of the time. Now she won't leave the house for more than five minutes. And my basement is soaked in piss. This is like living with a giant rat on my furniture. Even the vet said she would put the cat down based on her personality. That was before the grooming and litter box issues.
  5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Oh yeah.... She bit me the other day for the first time.
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Put it down. Honestly it would have lasted max of 4 years on the streets. Its now 10, its had a decent run and obviously has problems. IMO people dump to much money into pets on vet bills to nurse a animal on a few more years, and the thing is we really dont know what they want. I would put it down and if you want another cat save one from the pound that is days away from being put down.
  7. bassteban

bassteban

I am a HUUUGE *cat guy* but you're totally compromising your family's health.
  8. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Yeah... I assume your kid could get sick in the environment you are describing. That's no good.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Fortunately, the baby spends very little time in the crawl space.
  10. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

The poor thing is exhibiting classic shutdown behavior. I've had multiple cats my entire life, and I've had two in the last five years do what yours is. The only difference being they were solely indoor cats.

If you've had it for ten years, and let's say it was two years old at the time, you don't have much time and the behavior will only get more bizarre. Do the right thing and put it down.

I hate that term. Do the right thing and help him or her along. And good luck.
  11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Thanks, dude. The appointment has been made.
  12. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Good luck and condolences. It's the right thing.
  13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

They can and do last much longer than 4 years. Some of the strays in my neighborhood have been around for closer to 8 years, although their numbers are dwindling.
  14. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

LOL :p

I love cats, but you are absolutely right to have it put down when it's acting that way.

sorry to all the people on here that describe their animals as children and spend 1000s upon 1000s on them, but they're animals. I love my cat and my dog, but they're animals.
  15. hover

hover

You gave the cat much better quality of life than most people would have given the situation / circumstances, so take comfort in that moving forward...never an easy decision to be sure, and not one that could be remedied by adoption by another family.

It's simply time, and in this case clearly not an issue of spite or being inhumane, but for what is best. For the cat, but moreso for you and your family.

I wish you well with this.
  16. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

Judging by what you describe, the cat may actually be sick. They tend to go from weird to weirder when that happens. But regardless, you cant have a cat like that with a little one in the house. It's a recipe for disaster. Time for the cat to go.
  17. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

If it drew blood, kill it. Along with its history and age, no one is going to want that cat and letting it loose is, imo, extremely un-ethical and cowardice. Do it yourself or make an appointment with your vet. It sucks because its not the cat's fault but an animal like your cat can be a health hazard and dangerous for a small child.
  18. hover

hover

Or call this guy...
    [​IMG]

Ok, no...not really.
  19. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Not to be an ass but you're an animal, too. A mammal, just as they are. :) For some people, great emotional burden and pain are lifted in time spent with their animals. Spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for something that truly makes you happy and has possibly saved your life sounds like a damn good deal to me.

"To judge a civilization, one only needs a look on how they respect their animals." - Gandhi
  20. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

Euthanizing a cat is a very peaceful experience. The cat is sedated first, and falls unconscious before the lethal dose is administered. It's like the cat simply goes to sleep and never wakes up. I had to put my cat down after 14 years when he lost interest in eating and drinking. You can't let a cat suffer like that. Yours sounds like its headed in the same direction. Sometimes they just give up, and there's nothing you can do about it but make the end painless for them.