1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Catalinbread Echorec

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Calling all Catalinbread Echorec users!!

I am very interested in this pedal. It is one of the most disctinctive delays I have ever heard. It seem to excel at very percussive slapback delay. I use to own an MXR Carbon Copy. I really liked it. However, no tap temp made it very difficult to use in a band context. (A blast to play with in the bedroom though.) The Echorec also does not have a tap tempo. Is this an issue for you? How have you worked around matching delay times to the tempo of the song? What contexts do you use it in?
  2. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

I have it, but I'm afraid I can't help you since I use it only on Guitar, where it just excels at rhythmic delays and atmospheric stuff. That said, I don't see why it shouldn't work the same on bass. Stuff like Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days" will sound spot-on.

The Swell knob is the key I think. It acts like a Feedback/Repeats knob, but not quite. The higher you turn it, the lusher and atmospheric it will become. Depending on the Program setting, it will start to self-oscillate in it's very own unique way around 2-3 o'clock.

It is just such a great sounding pedal, and gives your sound such a huge 3-dimensional sound. Best delay I ever heard (in pedal form, that is), even without stereo outputs or tap tempo.
  3. BFunk

Thanks for the input. Anyone else?
  4. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Supporting Member

I haven't had any issues due to the decay of the repeats. As long as you keep the Swell knob fairly low, it's not really noticable in band mix that the delay time isn't 100% accurate.

And as stated above, it's one hell of a delay. Easily the best I've ever tried on bass.
  5. BFunk

Do you keep the delay time low too? Are you using to add ambience or quick slapback more than noticeable repeats? Have you got a recording?
  6. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Supporting Member

I change it up quite a bit actually.
    For the most part, when playing with the band, I use it to create a quick slapback, utilizing the different rythmic patterns with both delay time and swell fairly low.
    For slower parts, I also use it as a pseudo chorus/reverb, with swell and delay time at minimum and mix at around 3 o'clock. (sounds awesome!)

Sometimes, when I'm bored and want to play ambient music, I use considerably higher swell/delay time settings. This thing is the king of ambience.

I haven't got any recordings, sorry.
  7. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Program 7 is really nice, it's like having head 1 and 3 activated on a real Echorec, so it will result in having slapback and a longer delay at the same time.

Also, and this is important, it will never sound like mud or too overwhelming. Playing long notes and chords will result in a wonderfully lush reverb sound.

If you intend to go for the more rhythmic possibilities, with short muted notes and arpeggios, the lack of tap tempo makes it a bit more difficult to dial in with the drummer (especially on bass), but it's not impossible. You will just have to set a time approximately and adjust with the drummer. It never was a big problem for me.
  8. IglooBass

IglooBass Supporting Member

Is anyone having issues with overdriving the input of this pedal ? I had one of the very earliest ones and both my active and passive basses distorted the input. It was a really great pedal ... But that issue for me killed it.
  9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

IIRC, there's an internal gain trim pot. It might be that it is turned up, and that's what's causing the distortion. Did you buy it used? Maybe the previous owner adjusted it up, or maybe it just left the factory that way for some reason.
  10. BFunk

Lots of great info. Thanks.
  11. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

Like D.M.N. said, your internal gain trim pot might have been set too high. It's actually a really sweet sounding boost with a nice tube amp, but perhaps only for guitar.
  12. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Bumping this to keep the conversation going. I'm looking to pick one up soon, so I like hearing other people's input. I have a vision of combing the echorec with a Chicago Iron Parachute Wah. It's a crazy dream, I know, but I can only imagine how cool it would sound. All Geezer Butler on "the Dark" style weird.
  13. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

just to chip in, I got an echorec a few days ago, and am very very impressed. in mode 1 it is a great delay, and is the holy grail I have been looking for i.e. the perfect blend between sterile DD-3 and proper analog...

I mostly use delay for percussive style playing, bouncing off the repeats, and it is great for this. i was just playing with it after an OC-2 and diabolik, and in the right modes with minimal repeats you can use it like a choppy trem as well... there are a lot of sounds in it.

only issue at present, i have to turn the blend to 3 o'clock to get a loud enough first repeat to truly use it as i want, so currently turning up the amp to compensate. hopefully a tweak of the internal gain will remedy this :)

in short, this is a cracking little box of tricks!