Dismiss Notice

Welcome to TalkBass.com!

Register your free account to unlock features including:

• Post messages or start new discussions
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Upload images and video to our gallery
  • Enter free giveaways
  • Get rid of this notice, and much more :)

Catalinbread RAH - great for bass/unsung hero

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by davexpert, Jan 12, 2014.

1. davexpert

davexpert

Dec 25, 2013
    Hi,

I wanted to post about an unsung hero in the bass pedal world, IMO... and my secret weapon: the Catalinbread RAH.

I know the SFT gets all the attention because it does the cool classic SVT tube overdrive sound perfectly. But the RAH - which you may remember is the "Royal Albert Hall" overdrive, meant to simulate Jimmy Page's tone at Zeppelin's infamous Royal Albert Hall concert, where he used a wall of Hiwatts, really performs well for bass (as well as for guitar).
    Especially if you're going for a John Entwistle Leeds/Isle of Wight tone (which I am).

It does not lose the "bass boom" at all, and adds that Hiwatt sizzle to the upper notes. I imagine the WIIO (Catalinbread's more popular Hiwatt-in-pedal-form) probably does the same thing, as the RAH is essentially a hot-rodded version of the WIIO... but anyway, thought I'd share.

I hope to have a board recording soon of my band's gig last week - where I used this pedal. If it turns up/turns out, I'll post a sample.

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Can anyone report on how the RAH compares to the Tech 21 Leeds pedal(for either guitar or bass)?

plaidgoat likes this.
  3. davexpert

davexpert

Dec 25, 2013
    Don't know how it compares to the Leeds, but like the SFT, it is an overdrive rather than an amp sim

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I agree. the RAH is a great sounding pedal for bass. I love mine, and the catalinbread WIIO is another great one.

halfjackson likes this.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Can it do John Wetton's tone on King Crimson's LTIA and Red era?

Swimming Bird and Michedelic like this.
  7. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I had a Leeds for a little while but gave it to our guitarist, he uses it to great effect sometimes.

I want to get that Hiwatt sound again sometimes, ad a shopping for a pedal to run through my SVT.

Anything to add about the differences in tone between the RAH and the WIIO? I'm really after that Live At Leeds sound, and want something that can clean up nicely and let my control the breakup with my attack. I've heard the Catalinbread Hiwatt pedals are very dynamic, more so than the Leeds?

I've listened to the clips of the WII0 on your site, sounds amazing.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    the WIIO has a little more gain on tap but they both clean up nicely and are very dynamic.

9. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Thanks a lot!

10. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    the Sabra Cadabra also sounds great on bass as does the dirty little secret!

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Washington DC
    Disclosures:
    I ain't got paid to play in months
    I always preferred Starless and Bible Black tbh.

12. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Cool! I love my Catalinbread WIIO.

13. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I personally prefer the RAH over the WIIO. The WIIO is just monstrous, which is awesome, but I prefer the more fine control and range of the RAH. Agree, it's really good on bass, especially for bringing in some mids for my EB-0.

14. So would you say the RAH is a slightly lower gain version of the WHO? Or are there other tonal differences?
    I love that hiwatt sound of the Ox.

15. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    In my experience, the WIIO has a LOT more gain than the RAH. You have to crank the RAH all the way to get to the beginning range of the WIIO. If you want the gnarly hiwatt Ox sound with thunderous low end, the WIIO is probably a better bet. I was wanting more of the Hiwatt amp sound in a preamp with additional controls over the mids, so for me the RAH works better for that; the WIIO works better as a super-cranked Hiwatt in an overdrive/distortion pedal.

Caveat: I had a Catalinbread WIIO, but the RAH I have is one of JohnK's builds, which are often better than the originals in terms of execution. So my take may or may not be equivalent to Catalinbread's original version of the RAH.

Play guitar too? Become a founding member of TalkGuitar.com