1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Catalinbread RAH - great for bass/unsung hero

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by davexpert, Jan 12, 2014.

1. davexpert

davexpert

Hi,

I wanted to post about an unsung hero in the bass pedal world, IMO... and my secret weapon: the Catalinbread RAH.

I know the SFT gets all the attention because it does the cool classic SVT tube overdrive sound perfectly. But the RAH - which you may remember is the "Royal Albert Hall" overdrive, meant to simulate Jimmy Page's tone at Zeppelin's infamous Royal Albert Hall concert, where he used a wall of Hiwatts, really performs well for bass (as well as for guitar).
    Especially if you're going for a John Entwistle Leeds/Isle of Wight tone (which I am).

It does not lose the "bass boom" at all, and adds that Hiwatt sizzle to the upper notes. I imagine the WIIO (Catalinbread's more popular Hiwatt-in-pedal-form) probably does the same thing, as the RAH is essentially a hot-rodded version of the WIIO... but anyway, thought I'd share.

I hope to have a board recording soon of my band's gig last week - where I used this pedal. If it turns up/turns out, I'll post a sample.
  2. Michedelic

Michedelic

Can anyone report on how the RAH compares to the Tech 21 Leeds pedal(for either guitar or bass)?
  3. davexpert

davexpert

Don't know how it compares to the Leeds, but like the SFT, it is an overdrive rather than an amp sim
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I agree. the RAH is a great sounding pedal for bass. I love mine, and the catalinbread WIIO is another great one.
  5. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Can it do John Wetton's tone on King Crimson's LTIA and Red era?