Catholic Lent Fasting Bass "Challenge"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mljonesqwe, Mar 4, 2014.

1. mljonesqwe

mljonesqwe

So I am a Catholic, and this year I decided to take a new spin on the fasting part of prayer, almsgiving, and fasting that Catholics do for 40 days in preparation for Easter. Instead of giving something up, I have decided to add something to my life to make myself better. I don't think I have ever had 40 straight days of concentrated and really productive practice, or 10 for that matter, and I wanted to get the ball rolling. So this year for Lent my goal is to practice every day with a specific small lesson or correction to my technique or bass related knowledge. I plan to have what I will do in mind before I practice that day, so that I can use the time efficiently. I will think about these things during school (I'm a senior in high school). After I play, time permitting, I will go through some bass videos and find what I'll do the next day. Hopefully after this experience I'll come away having learned a lot, and improved technique.
    Day 1's content, I've decided, will be fixing my "saluting pinky" habit with the exercise in 101 bass tips, and mixing that with going up and down the fretboard and saying the letter names outloud while playing to a metronome. These will hit on three big goals: fretboard knowledge/comfort level, efficient technique, and timing/rhythm.
    Anyway, let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions
  2. squirefan

squirefan

I think that's a very interesting idea. I'd say using Lent as a vehicle to improve your skills should translate into utilizing those skills to benefit people in need in some form or fashion (maybe benefit shows, nursing home/hospital visits, etc.) or, just to uplift someone's spirits when needed.
    Then it will be more of a devotional sacrifice as opposed to only a personal gain.

I like it!:)
  3. spade2you

spade2you

Better idea than fasting! I've never been able to do that well due to being an endurance athlete with a high metabolism. I have been spending more time on the guitar and am working on some True Fire lessons to whip myself back into shape.
  4. mljonesqwe

mljonesqwe

Good point SquireFan, I'll do that. I plan to help another guy out who's doing the same, and hopefully I can find a way to do some kind of benefit if I improve a lot, and I've always wanted to play at Mass, as I've seen a bass player occasionally in the past. That is my ultimate goal for it I think other than improving in technique and general knowledge/feel for bass playing as a whole.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

I have also thought about that. I tend to work too many weekends for that to be something I'd do regularly.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Well, with my last name, out of self defense I've had to learn more Catholic doctrine and dogma than most observant communicants.

Fasting is only one way to focus and restructure. The whole point of Lent is to get ready for Easter. So any reasonable plan or structure of focus and self-discipline with the goal of improving one's self as a means of preparing for Easter is encouraged. Many observants use the traditional food fasting in one way or another as a means of addressing other personal habits and self disciplines along the way. To that end, again, so long as they are reasonable and sincere, they are encouraged.

As a musician, a plan of working on curing bad habits and becoming more technically proficient and musically expressive is a good self-discipline. The way you have described it as a little each day according to an established outline so as to focus on one detail at a time and not "burn out" by trying to do too much at one time is a very reasonable goal.

Part of any Lenten discipline is to have a mentor, advisor, or coach (spiritual or secular) to communicate with regularly and help keep focused and progressive. Do you have one?
  8. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

It's not a terrible idea, although traditionally Catholics usually give something up rather than try to gain something. I am also Catholic, so I understand Lent. Many do not, especially if you're not Catholic. Just remember, Lent is a time where you remember and honor the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert fasting, so the whole concept is to make a sacrifice, or give something up, in remembrance, and focus toward Easter, which is the most important holiday in the Catholic Church. If you were to use this idea of yours, and expand on it to do something that would be selfless and would show a sacrifice that helps your fellow man and honors Jesus, I think that would be fantastic.

The only thing I would say is this; who are you doing this for, yourself? Or for Jesus and God? If the only one who gains anything from this commitment of yours is you, you may be doing it for the wrong reasons, or doing the wrong thing.

But if it feels right, then go for it.
  9. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

Great idea, but my first kid is arriving sometime in late March/early April, and that would defeat my efforts.
  10. mljonesqwe

mljonesqwe

I go to a Catholic school, so there's plenty of people in that regard. I know a Benedictine monk and priest that says morning Mass once a week there and have learned a lot in that regard, so I think he is. I'm usually pretty self dependent as far as where I want to go spiritually, though. That's not to say that others aren't important in the equation, but that's just more of my style of spirituality. I'm also taking a senior spirituality class, so that's probably along those lines as well.