1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Cats and rat fur

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatever4, Feb 13, 2014.

1. whatever4

whatever4

I was thinking of leaving my amp at the guitarist's house, where we practice, so I wouldn't have to schlep it around. But my speaker cab is covered in rat fur, and the guitarist has a cat that might think the cab is a carpet-covered scratching post. Has anyone had any experience with carpet-covered cabs in homes with cats?

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

yes bad idea cats are compelled to f with it it's cat law 90 something so annoying. They will wake up in the middle of hte night just to f with it. I have proof. caught on camera.

4. FourNotFive

FourNotFive Supporting Member

Yes. My cat once ripped a 6" hole in the rat fur of brand new Eden cab within 24 hours.

I have had rat fur cabs that he didn't tear up and there are two cats at our practice spce that don't tear up the guitarists' rat fur. But I now live in a rat fur free home.

Your options:
    1. Schlep it back and forth
    2. Get a cover for it
    3. Take your chances

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tekhedd

tekhedd Supporting Member

Try bitter apple spray, it helps but you have to regularly reapply it.

Some cats don't, but most do. It's built-in. Mine keeps trying to destroy the Bergantino 322 (anybody want to buy a somewhat frizzy Berg 322?)

If you have a cat, you accept scratching as part of the deal. Or you declaw your cats, but this is like cutting off someone's fingers to stop them playing folk music--effective, er, and. And, now that I think about it, a very poor analogy, as I can't think of a reason that it would not be appropriate in this specific example. But it's cruel to do it to cats, anyway.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Throw a very large heavy towel over the cab. Problem solved and cats happy.

8. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

Please forgive my ignorance, but do they really use real rat fur to cover cabs? Or is that just called rat fur because, maybe, it looks and feels like rat fur?

9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Buy a cover for the cab

10. DogBone

DogBone

Cover it!

Even if it's just with an old sheet or something.

Cat hair + Rat Fur = Big Mess.

11. thedude77md

thedude77md Supporting Member

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I like my cats enjoying my ratfur covered gear, if someone else doesn't like it....up theirs.

Some things (like living, breathing things), are more important than other things (like carpet-covered inanimate objects). If somebody fails to see that, I feel sorry for them....and whoever has the displeasure of living with them.:meh:

That said, I do vacuum off my stuff for more "classy" type gigs, even though their $#!+ stinks too.

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Also, check out a product called "Natures Miracle". Also another one called "Odoban". We use them on rental units to kill smells between tenants.

14. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

Manufacturers started with black carpeting which picked up the nick-name rat fur. There are a few other colors available now, it made for a sturdy covering.

I think rat fur fell out of favor because it would smell like cigarettes after playing in some establishments. With more no smoking venues, it has become less of an issue.

=wr=

15. kcole4001

kcole4001

If you can gather up enough cats, you can probably make a fairly decent covering for your cabs.
    It might even deter some of the others from clawing too much...;)

16. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Epifani
    My cats purpose in life is to scratch the living heck out of my Epifani cabs. I just let em.... No use in tryin to stop them lol!

17. blowinblue

blowinblue official non-user of Fender and Ampeg Supporting Member

Actually, it's made from the fur of mice. But since mice are cute and rats are less so, it has become more acceptable to call it rat fur. Now you know.

M. M. ;)

18. kcole4001

kcole4001

I thought they only did that stuff if they knew you were watching...:)

Seriously, a washable cover is about the only effective defense.
    We have 3 cats, and they WILL sleep on top of the cab, but at least you can fairly easily remove the fur from the cover and they don't seem to care for scratching it when covered.

19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

It's a losing battle. I declared my cats victors and now own cabs coated in Duratex. No more rat fur for me! (Or them!)

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Rats are plentiful any place you find large concentrations of people and thus, our garbage. Being the opportunists we are, upon realizing we could not exterminate every last rat, we found ways to capitalize on them....hence, ratfur.

21. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Ha! Are you kidding? :eyebrow:

My advice: Don't do it unless a) you keep the cover on the cab at all times when it's not in use; b) you can trust the guitarist's judgement when/if he promises you that the cat cannot get into the room during non-rehearsal times.

Otherwise, prepare yourself for the rat fur to get shredded! :eek:

MM