1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cavity Size List?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DMHolman, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DMHolman

DMHolman

Afternoon all ...

Was wondering, has anyone ever compiled or come across a list of bass pickups that list cavity size?

I've been trying to see my different options for replacing a neck pickup in a semi-hollow I have and it would be so much simpler if I could simply see what would or would not fit all at once.

Thanks!

-D

2. Hapa

Hapa

No, no one has made a list...That being said Most manufactures of pickups have the routing specs on the website. Measure the route on your bass and go from there. If it is an OEM pickup then you have a good chance the manufacture used a standard shell. Fender, EMG and Bartolini sizes are quite common. Routing the bass to fit a different pickup is the other option but it sounds like you want a drop in.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Aside from crude jokes (cavity size, arr arr)....I haven't seen one in the past few years, at least.

I'm not sure it would have much benefit. You can always measure the instrument you have, and dimensions of replacement pickups are mostly available online.

I suspect most pickup swaps are motivated not by what will fit, but by the type of pickup that's desired. Bodies can be modified to accept various pickups.

4. DMHolman

DMHolman

Yea, I was just hoping there was a convenient way to see a bunch of options at once. My first hope is that I could find a pickup that would fit the body without needing to route it. Get some luck with string spacing and pickup dimensions with the sound I wanted.

Just one of those long shot hopes, I guess. :) Only thing that looks like it will fit this bass is a Dimarzio Model One or a bunch of the cheap mudbuckers/humbuckers you see floating around eBay. Thought SGD made one that would probably fit, but don't see it on his site.

Routing is a pain in the butt, but it opens up a ton more possibilities.

5. Register to disable this ad