1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

CD Player Into A Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ZenG

ZenG

My amp has a "cd in" jack.

Haven't used it yet but plan to......

I was interested in connecting a boom box to it that gets radio stations as well...

But seeing as how it's a bass amp , how do cd players and boom boxes sound through it? Especially when you have the treble and mid on the amp cut way back?

I also notice there's no volume switch for the cd player jack by itself so it's subject to whatever the volume of the amp is set at?

Also looks like I'm going to have to go to RadioShack or someplace to get a cable that goes from cd to amp......although the out jack on the cd player isn't a 1/4" stereo plug.

2. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

I use my GK MB212-ii hooked up to an iPod or Pandora for dinner parties. Doesn't sound as good as a dedicated home audio system, but it certainly does the job well enough. At least through my amp, it sounds a little bassy (for obvious enough reasons).

I'm sure that a more neutral sounding bass rig would sound better for this purpose, but it works just fine for my needs.

3. ZenG

ZenG

Thanks.....

4. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

Im pretty sure that the CD input skips the pre amp (or should anyway) that way you can play bass to your favorite tunes. Since it skips the preamp you souldnt have to worry about having your highs cut.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I run an MP3 player into the Aux In on my Promethean P5110 (1x10 combo) and it sounds really good. As RG4 said, it bypasses the preamp section, so the amp EQ doesn't affect the MP3 sound - only adjusting the tweeter attenuator knob on the back does. So, I use the volume on my MP3 player to control it. If I were using a CD player with no output level adjustment, then I would use the Master Volume to control the MP3 volume and use the Gain knob to control how loud my bass is.

I even used the Promethean as my complete home theater sound system (using Line Out from my TV) for the last few months, while I was in temporary housing and it was great!

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I play along with an MP3 player plugged into my G-K MB combo amp for learning/practicing all the time - and it works great.

EDIT: Oh and I control the EQ and volume of the playback music with the MP3 player. TIP: Always, start with the MP3 player volume turned off and then turn it up slowly.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Is your "CD in" jack a 1/4" phono plug or a pair of RCA plugs? There are several varieties of 'mini phono jack' adapters, 1/4" phono, RCA stereo, mini-to-mini, etc, to go from your mp3 player to your amp.

1/8" to 1/4" adapter:
    [​IMG]

1/8" to RCA:
    [​IMG]

1/4" to 1/8" adapter:
    [​IMG]

I use one like the above to go into the back of my computer so I can play my bass through it while listening to headphones to learn new music.

There are various adapter cable configurations too.

1/8" to RCA:
    [​IMG]

I use one like above to go into my PA to play break music.

As long as your amp has a tweeter it should do OK playing music.

Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. ZenG

ZenG

Thanks for that.......