CD's with muted bass tracks?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Hi I'm new here...first post.

Wonder if you could tell me if anybody makes cd's (such as pop songs etc etc) that have the bass track removed so you can practise or play along (bass guitar) while listening?

Thanks for your help.......:bag:
  2. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    And Justice For All fits those requirements.
  3. k31bassman

k31bassman Supporting Member

4. ZenG

ZenG

Thanks guys......BTW what is Justice For All?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

:ninja:
  7. activebass

activebass

Haha.... this must mean you are quite young right?

it is the album Metallica released after the tragic death of their original bass player, Cliff Burton.
    Cliff was replaced by Jason Newsted and until today people are still searching for the bass track on the album. They mixed it so low, you can't hear the bass. Go check it out. It is still a great album. The song 'One' is quite an iconic Metallica song.
  8. ZenG

ZenG

Thanks for clearing that up......:)

Actually I'm not young at all......

I just never was into Metallica that much although I could listen to " Enter Sandman" until the cows come home.....
  9. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

first off, this post has been very entertaining, thank you. I cant find a link but I was given a Bass Essentials CD years ago that was jazz and blues tunes recorded in different keys to where you pan the speakers left and the bass drops out and right the guitar wud drop out to practice which ever instrument you chose. very, very helpful in those schools of velocity. I know its not exactly what you asked for but. I'm just sayin
  10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

11. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Honestly, a majority of the "learn how to play" books out these days have it so that you can play along to a CD minus your particular instrument. Check out Mel Bay on Amazon and look at the descriptions for "play along CD included" or some such.

But I still stick by my original suggestion. :)
  12. jfh2112

jfh2112

Man, I just spent $9 on ~28% of Dream Theater's "A Change of Seasons". Gonna have to talk to my bank's loan officer Monday to get the rest. :D

It seems expensive, but really, Jammit has a lot of nice features that make it worth it, I think.
  13. Intenzity

Intenzity Supporting Member

Well, you can kinda make your own for a lot of songs, its not perfect, but a lot of the time (say post 1980) the bass is mixed down the center channel, the same place as lyrics.

Most Karaoke machines phase-invert the center channel and it makes the vocals go away, and it also makes - ta - da - the bass go away (most of the time).

So if you use Transcribe!, it can do this, and any audio player that has a "Karaoke" feature in it somewhere will probably reduce or eliminate the bass as well.

Some older motown/beatles/atlantic/zeppelin stuff has the bass panned to a specific side, not down the middle, so just using the old "balance" control can make it go away.
  14. ZenG

ZenG

I have a couple of keyboards that I can record music on.

So I can record songs without the bass track and then play them back and play bass guitar to them.

But it's a lot of messing around.

I appreciate the Hal Leonard link and I think I'm going to
    acquire some of those cd's., as all I have to do is pop them in the cdplayer/stereo and and I'm up and away.

I'll look at the Mel bay link too.

Right now for timing I just turn a drum track on by itself, on the keyboard and ad lib for awhile.

Having a heap of fun with the bass guitar.....which was my initial goal.

In the past I've recorded entire cd's with mixers, keyboards, etc etc. and while it was worth it to me, it's a ton of work if you are a perfectionist like me.

But just for straight fun, I plug in the bass and play away.....:D