CEB-3 vs CE-3 vs Mooer Ensemble King

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ocoaibass, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I have the chance to accept one of these three pedals as part of a trade. I have to pick in advance because we are driving to a place between where we both live. I don't have the opportunity to play any of these pedals locally, so I need some advice from my fellow low-enders.

Thanks in advance
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I haven't personally A/B them - but, if you search Utube there're some videos and IMO the Boss sounded better than the Mooer on the videos (deeper/fuller).
  3. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I feel like I'm leaning towards the BOSS pedals. I can always get a Mooer cheap, on eBay. Have you ever owned either BOSS chorus? I can't believe it, but I've actually never owned a chorus pedal besides the big box EHX Small Clone from the 90's (I was a guitarist for a short time).
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, I own the Boss GT-6B which has chorus and I own a Boss CEB-3. But I've got tiny nano (1590a) size petal GAS, so that's why I was interested in the Moooer chorus. BTW, I've read that Moooer is coming out with another new chorus for bass, so I'm looking forward to checking it out whenever it becomes available.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Oh yeah? A Mooer bass chorus? That's cool. I've got the Hustle Drive & Black Secret, myself. Very good sounding pedals for bass (considering that I've got them through a Mosquite blender). I too have 1590A GAS. Just traded a huge Dunlop volume pedal for the smaller Fender version.
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, there is a picture of the new Mooer Ensemble "Queen" bass chorus introduced at NAMM 2014 somewhere in the big http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/mooer-pedals-909902/ thread, but I can't remember which post # or page its on - sorry. BTW: here's a pic of my new all nano petal board. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=402404&d=1395629744 Oh, I also flipped the patch between the tuner and booster and spaced them better so now it looks better too.

EDIT: (TB Software Changed) New Pic Link http://www.talkbass.com/attachments/2014-little-nano-petal-board-jpg.402404/

Cheers
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  8. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Super slick selection!
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thanks
    Oh also even though the Moore chorus isn't as deep/full as the Boss (IMO, and I'm only judging form the videos) - most, if not all the TBers that have the Mooer chorus that I talked with said they like their Moore Ensemble King chorus - so you may not want to write it off without test driving one. I'm not in a real big hurry so I "may" wait to hear the Ensemble "Queen" bass chorus - but maybe not too.
  10. Explorer

Explorer

I own both the CE-2 and the Ensemble King, and I'm not the only one who can't tell the difference when trying them side by side. The Ensemble King gets a lot of love from those people who own both.

The CE-2B is the identical circut, but also adds the blend knob, which helps with bass. The Mooer Ensemble Queen will have the same blend knob, and I suspect that it will be as good a copy as the Ensemble King.

The CE-2 stock needs a different adapter than the current 9V standard, incidentally. I paid someone to mod mine correctly, but some folks just cut out a resistor and diode with wire clippers. I don't know about the CE-2B's power requirements.

If I had a choice of getting the CE-2, the CE-2B and the Ensemble King, I'd go with the CE-2B. You can always get a Mooer down the line as a backup.

Weirdly enough, the CE-2B is more capable, but sells for less on eBay than the CE-2, and sometimes can be found for less than the CE-2. If you were thinking of flipping it down the line, I'd get the CE-2.
  11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thank you for the report Explorer - I'm sure ocoaibass will appreciate it too. :)
  12. MikroKev

MikroKev

Did the OP not say CEB-3? iirc that has a low-pass filter control so you can set it so the bottom frequencies aren't muddied by the chorus.

I've not used one, but I remember looking at the specs and listening to samples. I went for the Mooer Ensemble King - mainly for the small form factor and I'm happy enough with it. I preferred it to the Digitech Bass Multichorus and the Mooer Mod Factory (digital).
  13. Explorer

Explorer

Gee, you're right! I wrote all that based on my misreading it! *laugh*

However... for what it's worth, I bought the CE-2 after doing some serious A/B comparison with the CE-3. The CE-2 family (CE-2/CE-2B/Ensemble King) sound better to my ears than the later iteration....
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

ocoaibass.... see what I mean - they like the Mooer Ensemble King chorus. :)
  15. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm definitely leaning towards the Ensemble King. Small footprint, great reviews, & probably a better resale value in the current market if I'm not stoked on it.

I've asked the trader if he'd send me the serial number of the CEB. I'm thinking if it's analog I may give it a whirl. If it's digital, I'm going with the Mooer!
  16. winterburn69

winterburn69

I haven't used the Mooer, but I own both a CEB-3 and CE-3 and I prefer the CE-3 without any doubt. The CE-3 has a really warm sound to it. Wonderful pedal.
  17. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    I own and currently use a Boss CEB-3

I like it, but it can get a little artificial sounding at times...not as warm as my EHX Small Clone, but it definitely handles lows and high transient peaks better than the small clone. Many people don't care for it, but I like the option to limit the chorus effect on low notes in the CEB-3. I like to do a lot of Bauhaus-inspired stuff (think Hollow Hills) and the clean droning E notes work great while I arpeggiate higher notes with the chorus applied to them, sounds neat IMO.
  18. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

That's a pretty cool idea. I've been tinkering with blend knobs, blend pedals, and such. I'm also pretty handy with an iron, so changing components & tweaking the sound possibilities of the CEB might be a direction I go. Seems like I can get the Mooer anytime. Thanks for the info!
  19. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I'm going to dig into the schematics of the CE vs the CEB to see if there are differences that explain the warmer sound you speak of. Also, are your pedals the older analogs or newer digitals. Could be that your CE is analog, while your CEB is digital. Check your serial numbers.