1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Celestion Neo 15 Into Acoustic Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by XontheP, Feb 27, 2014.

1. XontheP

XontheP

I have a pair of Acoustic 1x15 cabs I run with a 500 watt Hartke head. I like the rig, and the pair of 1x15s over, say, a 4x10. But it seems a little muddy at times. I can't afford a major upgrade, but I found some new Celestion neo speakers for $125 each. Is the upgrade worth it? Or should I save up for a 4x12 or better quality 1x15s? Any opinions?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Dropping any old driver into an enclosure that wasn't designed for it will never be an "upgrade". All it is is a crapshoot. There is science behind the mating. You'll have to work the driver characteristics through a box design program such as WinISD to see if they'll work well.

3. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

The Celestions might be an improvement - depends on which model. To give you an answer we need to know 1) which model Celestion, 2) cab dimensions and 3) if the cab is sealed or vented (and vent dimensions).

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

What's your EQ look like on the amp?
    Rolling off the low end (~100hz and lower) may be the fix you need to unmud your tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. XontheP

XontheP

Thanks guys. Trevor - I usually bypass my EQ, but when I don't, the lowest slider is about 10%, the next is about 60%, and the rest of the sliders kind of slope down from there. When I bypass, the high-pass is at 10:00, and the low pass at 2:00.

Cab dimensions when I get home in a few hours.

7. XontheP

XontheP

Actually, I'll probably scrap that idea and put the money aside for a 4x12 I have my eye on.

Trevor - you got me thinking. I'll stop bypassing the EQ and tweak that a little more. I lose a little volume, but it is a little cleaner.

Thanks to all for your replies.