celestion or eminence 10"

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Alexio58, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Alexio58

Alexio58

Hello

I'm a 40 watt tube amp from scratch and like to have my own custom cab.

I'm planning to build a bass horn or bass scoop cab (A vented cab with mechanical amplifiction of the vent.) with an 10" and 2 cu ft of volume.

It needs to be loud and so I thought 94dB watt/m would be the minimum. Plus the 3dB to 6dB of the horn.
    I was thinking of either a Celestion BLX-200 or a Eminence beta 10A. The eminence BP102 has too little output, 92dB watt/m

So which should I take, Celestion or Eminence?

Thanks in advance

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I am not trying to sound condescending, but you need to take some time to study speaker cab designs and principals first. Ports (or vents) are for tuning the cab to the specific speaker's needs. Bass horns are very large and using a "horn" design on a "port" will detune the cab.

3. Alexio58

Alexio58

I have indeed done study in cab design and the bass horn came through because most 1x 10" vented cabs still come short in bass, the horn is also possible because the total volume of the cab is the same as the vented designs and the vent driving the horn has the same dimensions as the listsed vent.
    frequency wise, the vent and horn should only differ in amplification.
    Do mean with detune literally detune the bass sound for example from E to D?
    Or changing the frequency responce, cause that wouldn't be such a problem...

4. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I experiment a lot with guitar speakers for my guitar stuff. I tend to like Eminence more in general. Made in US.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Interesting idea.

My understanding is that a horn's length should be at least 1/4 wavelength at the desired cut-off frequency, and effective mouth dimensions should be ideally comparable, although reflections from adjacent room boundaries can reduce the required mouth area. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a designer of horn cabs.

How are you achieving effective horn loading (and therefore acoustic amplification) of the long wavelengths at your vent's tuning frequency?

7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Check out the Eminence 3010HO. 99.9db ;)

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Kappalite_3010HO

8. Alexio58

Alexio58

The horns leads the back blast of the speaker back to the front adding sound, besides that the horn amplifies by raising the area of the vent and so amplifies the signal. The horn starts at the top back and Goes down, then it bends to the front while growing in area, the low back corner is curved to chang the sound direction smoothly. Also the frequency of the vent could be a quarter latta, like organ pipes, but it seems that short vents do the pass low signals.

9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Take a look at this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/piccolo8-cab-build-piccolo-bass-1010311/
    and consider sending a PM to Arjank: he might have good insight on your project (including driver selection which was your original question) and maybe lend a hand on modeling (has powerful software at his disposal).

TBH, 999‰ of this stuff is over my head; e.g., I'm not sure whether Arjank's "horn-reflex" is the same as a scoop bin. Or what exactly the back horn does.
    [My original guess was that it operated at two different frequency areas, the cab resonance (and thereabouts) and then another one from where the horn is long enough to load (so higher up in the low-mids) until where the wavelengths can't make it 'round the bends. Then again, as I said, I have no idea what I'm talking about.]

10. Alexio58

Alexio58

Getting a lot of interesting answers here, the piccolo8 thread convinced me to build a bass Horn cab. I'm leaning towards the celestion because it has a smoother mid responce then the eminence. The bass scoop will roughen up the mids so the speaker doesn't need that.