Cell phones and driving, will it come to this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

New law that I would Support

In the interest of Public Safety and to dramatically reduce loss of life, Cellular Devices and their Battery/Power Supply must be separated into 2 locking containers while inside a moving vehicle. This pertains to passengers, as well as, drivers.

Now THIS is a law I can get behind. Texting and operation of a cellular device while driving has surpassed, in 1 year, the number of deaths related to drinking and driving over 10 years. Of course, THIS would actually make an impact in saving lives, so it will never pass. We'd rather separate ammunition from firearms in a vehicle because the deaths related to firearms are less than 1/100th of those related to operating cellular devices while driving.

Just something I was thinking about on my way home when I was almost wiped out by *** ***** driving and looking down at their cell phones instead of paying attention to the road and traffic... 3 times by 3 different drivers in under 30 minutes!

2. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

So I am exempt due to the fact that my iPhone has an integrated battery? OK, cool. Proceed.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

+1

Poorly thought out law.

*edit* I agree with the sentiments behind it, but it's just silly.

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Do like I do. If I see someone driving and texting, I text their license plate to 911.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

And I assume you pull over to do this? Man, how do you get anywhere on time?

7. sm49341

sm49341

I often think of what can be done. I think the burden is on the phone manufacturers to come up w some type of solution.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Would it make you happier if we increased the number off drive by's to balance the ratio?

9. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

We've had a "Distracted Driving" fine here for a couple of years now. Doesn't seem to have curtailed the use of devices while driving, but @ least it's some deterrent. Some people look like they're impaired drivers when using those things.

10. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

What is needed is enforcement.

11. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Jamming devices onboard all motor vehicles that power up with ignition? We gotta do something...things are way outta hand.

12. prd004

prd004

Wow passengers too? That's insane last time I checked the passenger(s) aren't operating a vehicle.

13. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Self-driving cars would be a good start.

14. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Snipers. Everywhere.

When they see a texting driver, boom! Shoot their engines with a .50 cal, best lesson ever.

:D

15. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

A large component of this problem is a general feeling of entitlement to cell phone use any time anywhere.
    As a passenger you can't drink alcohol either....get over it.

16. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Treat it like DUI with REAL fines, and REAL suspensions, and REAL jail time. My friends nephew was killed by someone texting behind the wheel.

The soccer mom who plowed through the stop sign (2 others were also killed) got a $5000 fine, and 10 years probation. IMO, the 10 yrs probation should have started the day when she got released after 40 years for 3 counts of vehicular manslaughter.

When it fits the proximity, I honk at people on their phones. At least their friend might notice they are talking to an ***-****.

17. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Answering ones audibly ringing cell phone in a movie theater or quiet setting concert, unless one is a doctor or attending to a real emergency, should receive a steel-toed boot to the crotch.

Perhaps more than one.

So sick of rudeness as accepted social norm.

18. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Make it a felony like transporting a concealed firearm with ammunition in it rather then the legal way of being locked up and I bet people would pay attention.

I know I make sure my firearm is un loaded and locked before it travels with me.

Phone has internal batteries? OK just keep it all locked up. You can write the law any way you need to.

19. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

If it saves just one life...... LOL :D

20. jp58

jp58

We have a hands free law. If an officer sees you with a phone in your hand, you can get a ticket and a point on your license.

Something like 75% of these tickets have been uncontested, but there was a particularly riveting one where an officer had a subpoena for phone records and won.

21. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

In this thread: craziness